Pro-Face HMI Communication Issues

woolie161

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
At site, there is a Pro-Face 19” screen Model: SP-5800WP FWXGA complete with PFXSP5B10 box. Connected via Ethernet to the screen are 6 x CompactLogix V20 & 1 x Siemens S7-1200 TIA Portal V13. Everything was operating correctly until the PFXSP5B10 communication "box" Ethernet failed.
A spare box was installed and configured, and all was good again, until, one of the connected PLC's was powered down (machine turned off for maintenance), then communications was lost to all devices. This never was the situation with the old "box".

The physical network hasn't changed with all PLC's directly connected to a managed switch on independent cables and the HMI is connected to the same switch on it's own cable.
It appears that the new PFXSP5B10 box cannot cope if one PLC is not connected.

Anybody else experienced a similar situation, or has a suggestion to try within the configuration of the Pro-Face screen?

Thanks
Woolie

In my experience, I have never seen a Proface HMI used on a system this complicated. Only on systems with one PLC and limited number of IO. For example a Micrologix PLC. Maybe Proface just can't handle a system this complicated. I don't have any specific info to back this up. Just sharing my own experience.

Thanks for the replies A_G & Nova5. This system has been in operation since 2018 with no issues. The "brain box / Communication" module failed and Ethernet comms was lost. New "box" was sourced, fitted and the same program was downloaded to the new "brain box". All was good while all the PLC's are on powered on. This issue seems to be related to the new "brain box". As normal SOP's the machines (PLC's) are powered down for regular mechanical maintenance. As noted, it is with this new box that the problem became evident. As the configuration is loaded with the program, it doesn't appear to be the issue. I have gone to Schneider Tech support to see if it is a "Firmware" thing. I was hoping someone here could assist with possible solutions.

Again thank you both for taking the time to reply and sharing your thoughts.
Woolie

woolie161, as of last resource, if you have at hand an Ethernet switch with mirroring port function, if you could take a few seconds of a Wireshark trace, there may be some clues as to what the problem is.

Thanks for the suggestion AlfredQuintero,
I should be back on site next week and be in a position to test different situations with the different PLC's disconnected from the network. I will try your suggestion as well.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts
Woolie