Temp analog to PLC

Hammeraven

I'm helping some students work on a project and could use some advice.

The project is a ethanol still that the students built. The idea is to get the process semi-automated. I am a PLC programmer and have limited knowledge on what components I should be using as inputs/outputs. I also know that using a PID would be ideal, but I guess that is not an option to purchase right now :(

So what I am using AB MicroLogix 1400 series PLC (4 analog inputs)

some discrete inputs/outputs (pumps, buttons etc)

What I need is an analog temperature sensor (0-10V ) for reading stack (steam I believe) temp and reading water/mash temp in the tank. (not sure if I can use the same kind of sensor or not)...if anyone could recomnet a specific brand I would appreciate it...there are so many options, just not sure of the right one! Thanks!

The 0-10Vdc analog inputs are 'high level', so temperature sensors can not connect directly.

Standard industrial temperature sensors are
- thermocouples, millivolt output which need 'cold junction compensation' for any reasonable accuracy.
- RTD's that are resistive elements, require a constant current 'excitation' source (less than a milliamp)

Thermistors are also resistive elements, but require an input capable of reading resistance by sourcing a current and reading the voltage drop; or an external voltage source that creates a voltage drop (which an analog input 'reads') by sourcing a constant current.

The typical approach is to use a temperature sensor along with an industry standard 'transmitter' which converts the temperature sensor signal to an industry standard range, like 4-20mA or 0-5Vdc or 0-10Vdc. An industrial transmitter requires a separate power supply, typically a 24Vdc power supply.

4-20mA is sooo common, that frequently a precision resistor is used to create a 1-5Vdc (with a 250 ohm) or 2-10Vdc (500 ohm) signal (Ohms law).

Many PLCs have modular cards which accept temperature sensors directly. I don't know if the 1400 does or not.

The TP RTD here: http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/temp-ia-2.htm might have both an RTD and a transmitter in one assembly, it isn't clear.
1zmci9j.jpg

But at $78 it might be worth checking into. Most RTD's cost around $78 by themselves.