Sending and recieving sma using PLC

eababio

Hi All,
Has anyone worked o a project with a master plc and other remote plc that talk to each other using sms and or GPRS and sms as backup? which are the best products for this.

Will can micrologix do this? and if so which modem has worked with it?

Hi,

Never done that exactly, but similar.

Take a look at the 2 x PDF's (via links below) - they are fairly old, but outline what you are trying to achieve. This is a Siemens solution, but the principle is the same for most of these small brick PLC's + a modem...

We have done several projects with Micrologix using SMS so you should be able to implement the same concept as detailed in the Siemens documents.

http://db.tt/NuyS26nA

http://db.tt/wKZIuLCs

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hi,

We have used a range of AB controllers including ML11/12/14/1500 and Siemens S7-200 with a modems such as Westermo and Siemens...

Most of these devices support pretty much the same instruction set and there's normally some way of achieving what you're trying to do.

Without knowing your exact application, you may need to consider the reliability of your proposed setup. GSM/GPRS are obviously not 100% guaranteed, but if all you intend is a bit of remote indication or the like, then should be fine (would hate to think that a complete control system is sat in a critical condition waiting for a text message!!) :whistle:

Hope this helps.

Rob

we are just collecting elavated tank levels at remote sites and starting and stopping pumps from control centre plc depending on levels at the reservoir which will be at the control centre. RF is expensive as the terrain is not even and we talking of 2 remote sits at distances over 6okm. The only realistic option is GSM/GPRS for now.GPRS might not be stable and will be expensive so i need to be sure GSM can be a back up solution as well.

I did a remote messaging setup with WIN911 a while back. I can't remember the modem that I used. It was a ControlLogix/View SE project. You might get in touch with the guys from WIN911. They will at least be a good source of information.