Sending Emails from PLC

I've been having some trouble figuring out how to get the ip address for the mail relay server, is it something that I need to create separately to send emails? are there basic mail relay servers online I could use to achieve this?

Check out previous thread

check out this thread from a while ago.
https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=115980

I have never sent emails from a PLC directly and not sure of any that can do that. Perhaps there are some specialty models.

Typically I log events in a SCADA system or use a Alarm Manager (OAS, Wonderware, Factory Talk, ect.) Then use those services email servers to send message. Most will allow you to send a tag value, so you could populate an alarm tag with some text. I have also done some IF statements in the SCADA systems so I can use a DINT tag that correlates to some string of text.

IE: IF Tag == 1 THEN "system good"
ELSEIF Tag == 2 THEN "System has boo-boo"

Hope this helps point you in the right direction to solve your issue! GL

What PLC and email service are you using?

I got emails working from an S7 via gmail a couple years ago. It's definitely possible.

I have a 1734 AENT and I'm trying to send it to a mail relay server first, then send it to individual emails accounts from the server. The main thing I am struggling with is figuring out how to create a mail relay server so I can add it as a module on studio 5000

I don't think it would be a module in the PLC rack. It would be a service running on a computer. It could be local on site, or in the cloud.

All ControlLogix/CompactLogix can send emails. You may need a newer Ethernet card for ControlLogix like a 1756-EN2Tx.

For Compact you will need to check your model, and may need to send the messages to a newer Ethernet card in a different rack.

Rockwell has great sample code for it.