Sending Emails from Red Lion HMI

Handcraftedsince87

Lifetime Supporting Member
So here's the deal. I'm fairly new to red lion HMI's, and this job, but have picked up the programming enough so far to build screens and make the changes I need to.. We have a number of HMI's at very remote sites that send out status updates and alarm notifications. We have a G315C that uses Crimson 3.0 in our lab that had been previously setup, and has existing "programming" (C ish?) already on it. I've been able to manipulate and change that code to do what I want it to do. It sends out an email to our server on the other side of the state, then into an exchange "mailbot" account where it is forwarded by rules accordingly, based on the subject matter. Its pointed to a fixed server IP address. Like I said, this all works fine in the lab, but when I try to setup a different HMI in the office, a G310 running on crimson 2.0, I have all the same settings as far as I can tell.. server IP, port, contact info, HMI IP, gateway, subnet. I'm pretty sure my code is "ok", ill post it at the bottom. My thinking is that the server I'm pointing it towards is our "barracuda spam filter", and I think it might be filtering out and not forwarding the email I'm sending. The previous instrument tech highlighted a section in the user manual stating "The server must be configured to accept mail from the panel, and to relay messages if required by the application". I am definitely not an IT guy, and my normal IT contact on this is out of the office for another week, so any info or advice from those who have more experience with this than I would be greatly appreciated.

My code is:

if(send_mail){
SendMail(0,"test email","test email");
}

send_mail being a "toggle" tag I created in crimson that is read only assigned to a seal in type "coil" in the plc

I tried to be as descriptive as possible, but please let me know if there is any other info I can provide.

Thank you in advance

Try sending to to a gmail or internet account, I know Barracuda does see emails and their origins and if not a normal coded account will quarantine it or delete it. your IT would need to OK that address and coding to let it pass.

Ok, That's what I was thinking as far as Barracuda. From what I understand, Gmail and Yahoo don't support SMTP emails from Red lion HMI's? Something about having to sign up from a 3rd party, SMTPAuth I believe is one of them. I didn't want to put too much effort into this if the most likely scenario was it needed IT's OK as there is plenty of other stuff to be doing, just wanted to make sure I covered all the obvious bases before I shelve this project for a week.

So I was able to setup a Micrologix 1100 to send emails to the same address, not sure why I can't receive them from the HMI. I also tried making a program that sends out an alarm conditioned email. Is the network server filtering out something specific to Red Lion HMI emails that needs to get approved?

-Edit- OK, so after some changing of settings, I have been able to send emails through the "alarm" setting, leading me to believe there is something wrong with my code..

Last edited:
So my problem resided in the program I wrote not being "called upon". I am new to this type of programming and seem to have overlooked this bit in all that I had read and watched about these HMI's. Anyway.. you have to call upon the program or it won't execute. I thought the if statement was constantly being called upon