Rpm

jw5192

Hi, looking for the best way to take a 250ppr encoder signal into the 2 high speed counters on an 1100 and convert it to an rpm, what would be the best way to do this?

Thanks

I've used the Z pulses on an AB to get rotation. Z for one direction, and Z-not for the other. What type of Encoder and Card are you using ?

right it's a micrologix 1100 I'm using both the analog inputs for my current an voltage transducers going into SCL.MOV. DIV, scaling.so i need to figure out how to take the high speed inputs work with a hand held accu coder after that all 3 of these will be moved to strings on a panelview plus 600,

The encoder type is of no concern to me i can change it I'm just looking for the 90deg fase shift from channel a and b

1- Make a counter that counts pulses from the encoder
2- Make a 6 sec timer that copies counter data to a variable after 6 sec and resets itself and the counter.
3- You have got pulses per 6 seconds now do the maths and convert it into rpm.

Thank you very much

with the encoder moving at that rate i have adjusted my i/o configuration base/type to bwa base and a filter of 12.5us
trying different configurations in the function file for the hsc
and i still cant get it to accurately pick up all the pulses, any idea what i'm missing?

Thanks

How do you know it is missing pulses. Are you going by looking at the screen. If so what you see on the screen and what is being updated internally are different. Did you time the pulses over a minute and guesstimate what you should have.

Thank you very much

with the encoder moving at that rate i have adjusted my i/o configuration base/type to bwa base and a filter of 12.5us
trying different configurations in the function file for the hsc
and i still cant get it to accurately pick up all the pulses, any idea what i'm missing?

Thanks
Are you reseting the counter? If so you will lose pulses. NEVER reset the counter!

I'm guesstimating by looking at the counter maybe i should be looking in an integer file?, what if i took the en from the counter off channel a of the encoder and put that into a scp function and reset the counter every 10sec then did the math from that?

Thanks

...what if i took the en from the counter off channel a of the encoder and put that into a scp function and reset the counter every 10sec then did the math from that?

NEVER reset the counter!

Not the raw high speed accumulator anyway. You should capture the difference in the raw accumulator each PLC scan and sum that with some variable of your choosing, then reset that variable when appropriate.

GOT IT THANKS!!!

ONE MORE QUESTION WITH PANELVIEW 600 AND A BARCODE ON THE USB PORT BUT I SHOULD PROBABLY START A NEW STRING.

thanks for the help