Danfoss FC302 & Explicit Messaging

Green Man

Folks

I am using a Danfoss FC302 with a Position Module over devicenet. There is restriction of 2 user defined PCDs for this drive over devicenet. After running through the required configuration it seems that I am going to require additional data that I must retrieve via messaging.

the problem I have is that I want to access parameters 34-01 to 34-20 and following an example I require a 'Class ID' for the mesaage to point at the designated parameter group. The first issue is that I can't identify the parameter group and thus the 'Class ID'.

If anyone has any experience of using this system, this is for driving a variable filter drive through 20 index positions at a calculated interval time, it would be appreciated has thus far Tech Support from Danfoss has been slow.

My platform is ControlLogix.

Regards
Green Man

Can you point to a reference manual or EDS file for the drive and drive interface ?

It's unlikely that somebody has a fully developed example of this, but very likely that the Forum can help point you in the right direction.

I'm confused

In your first post you said you were using an "FC 302", which is the high dynamic performance version of the Danfoss FC 300 series "Automation Drive".

The FC300 series brochures say it has three motion control options, for Synchronizing Controller (MCO350), Position Controller (MCO351) and Center Winder (MCO352).

In your second post you are referring to a VLT 5000, which is an older general-purpose AC drive, and a MCO 305 motion controller.

The MCO 305, as I understand, is advertised as a motion control option for the FC 300 series of Automation Drives. But when I read the user manual for the MCO 305, it refers variously to the "FC 300" and to the "FC 312 and FC 312". Yes, it repeats itself.

There are a dozen different EDS files in the ZIP file for "EDS - Frequency Converter" on this Danfoss page:

http://www.danfoss.com/BusinessAreas/DrivesSolutions/devicenet

Can you be more specific about exactly which products you are using ?

Are Parameters 34-01 through 34-20 in the MCO motion controller, or in the FC302 drive ?

Ken

If the information I am receiving from our design team its a FC302 drive with an MCO305 motion controller. Will try and confirm this.

The parameters I refer to are within the FC302 parameter menu, which is the only devicenet connection on the drive.

The MCO305 is mounted on the drive as an additional option module, in the same way as the devicenet module.

From looking at the EDS files, and confirmed by Danfoss, I am limited to two PCDs that I can nominate with any additional information requiring the use of explicit messaging. What is unclear is the required message structure to access the listed parameters.

Not sure if this clears things up but bascially that is where I am at.

Ok. I have now done some further reading and have come to the conclusion that I need to access parameters 8.42 and 8.43. These are arrays, indexed I assume, with for example 8.42.0 being the first value in the array, 8.42.1 being the next etc. etc.

I would guess this would make the class/ group 800, the parameter 842 and the index 842.X.

So where I need guidance now is;
1. How to access the index array
2. What controls the array i.e. drive/ plc

Its a bit alarming that thus far I have no response from Danfoss tech support!!!

Guys

Bit further down the line with this now but still not quite there.

Now I think I am writing messages across and reading data back.

The returned data is not correct, and basically seems to be the parameter number not the acual value of the register. Must be missing something but what I can't quite work out.

Any pointers, or even better have you done it.

Hi Green Man!

I just used a lifeline and talked to a friend, he tells me that with the MCO305 you have 8 PCD values available. With the MCO351 you have 4 PCD's but with something he calls "fast DeviceNet" - I have no clue as to what that means.o_O

How do you communicate with your FC302? I have some experience using Ethernet and here I use a MSG instruction, and it seems to be working in much the same way on DeviceNet too :cry:

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to change between what the MCO is seeing in its values? Changing e.g. Par 8-42.2 to be 1601 (Reference) at one point and 1622 (Torque) at another?
If I'm not mistaken Par. 8-42.0 and 8-42.1 are locked to CTW and Ref.

If you read Par. 8-42.0 and get 1685, then that is perfectly correct - as this is what is in that parameter. If you want to know the value of the FC port CTW you will have to read Par. 16-85 (Class 74, Instance 185 and Attribute 64).

@Ken Roach: The MCO is a free programmable motion controller, that gives the FC302 servo capabilities. It is the building block for the MCO350/351/352 controllers. These are not programmable as such, but have the program already written for the function they are ment for. All you would have to do is set up the parameters.
(Please remember that I am NOT skilled in using these modules).

I'll be out of office Thursday and friday (holiday 🍺) and will not have time to play with this until monday.

Best regards,

Michal

Michal

Thanks for your response and appreciate the effort.

Following much head scratching I finally got the required result.

As you state the first two parameters are fixed but what I found was that, as you indicate, I could interogate a parameter directly and not try and figure out the pointer etc.

So to this end I used a MSG instruction and set the necessary CIP path (a work of art in itself), set the Class, Attribute etc. and off it went bringing back the required data.

Unexpected sucess but there we go.

Cheers