What Happened to the AB website

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
What has AB done with their website. It is near impossible to find the info you require. ie modules for an SLC. You think it should be a few clicks but no. It looks like they have let loose some newly graduated idiot website designer who has managed to make a total stuff up of it. I gave up trying to find the info I required.
This didnt help me find it but I feel a bit better. Regards Alan Case

You know if you need something you can come to us. Don't be afraid to ask us or tell us ANYTHING. We care about your wellbeing and don't want to see you down. We are here for you and we will always be proud of you...

Wait...

Sorry Alan, that speech is for my daughter.

But I guess it could be for you too.

Are you talking about THIS website ?
edit: Its the MANUALS website, not the PRODUCTS website.

Its been around for a couple of years now. I dont think its THAT bad, but maybe others aggree.
With the proper AB part number (i.e. "1785-PKTX") you can easily find the info. If you dont have the part number you can browse with the type of component (i.e. "Control Processors" ... "SLC500 programmable controllers" ... "SLC500 digital i/o modules"). Easy.

Last edited:
You're right - it is not straightforward to find at all. If you go to the A to Z product directory, and choose 1746 Chassis Based IO, I think you can get most of what you are looking for though.

http://www.ab.com/catalogs/b113/slc/io.html

Even there though, some of the pages aren't set up right (it looks like some tables are missing columns).

Marc

I know what you mean. I had the site down pat!
I could have found stuff in my sleep before. Now, I can't seem to get what I want.

The strange part is, it doesn't LOOK like they changed the site.

AK

and you can't beat the price ...

this is NOT the answer to every question just raised ... but it brings up a point ... if you haven't already got one of these, why not order it now? ...

go to Rockwell's

Automation Bookstore

and order part number 9392-CL001B-EN-C ... this is a handy two-CD set which contains at least 95% of everything you're likely to need in the way of documentation for Allen-Bradley PLC's ... best of all ... it's free ... think of the conversational value alone ... you could be the first on your block to have something FREE from Allen-Bradley ... the last time I checked, even the shipping and handling was free ... and it comes in a nifty little plastic caddy suitable for clipping into a standard three-ring binder ...

having this little item tucked away in your laptop case can come in really handy when you're working out in the field with no network connection ... or if the AB website is down ... or if you just simply give up trying to find your way around in it ...

Thanks Ron, I will definitely get that disk.
Today I spent 2 hours on the website trying to find the manual for the devicenrt adaptor for an SMC Flex soft starter. They are known as a 20-comm-d or a Bulletin 20-comm-d. They are not the same as the Pwerflex 20-comm-d. My hat is off to anyone who can find the manual or the structure of the command and status word. Regards to all. Alan Case

I agree that the 'old' AB home page was easier/better, but it's still not that hard to navigate. Most of the stuff that used to be on the left pane has been moved to the top. Other stuff is just buried in the new left menu. For instance, 'Shop Online' is now in 'Shop' at the top, and 'Manuals On-line' is now in the 'Publications' selection on the left (and ALSO in the 'Support' menu up top).

I find OTHER manufacturers to be worse. Unless you know the right URL, you can get lost quite quick. Go to www.mitsubishi.com and try to find PLCs. Unless you know to go to www.meau.com instead, you wind up buying a new car... :p

Omron's another one. Go to www.omron.com and you'll wind up in Japan looking for PLCs. But type in oeiweb.omron.com, and you're in like Flynn!... :cool:

beerchug

-Eric

Hey Alan,

The 20-COMM-D is the exact same device for the PowerFlex, SMC Flex, or anything else with a DPI port. Unfortunately, the SMC Flex User Manual didn't include the DPI data map.

Aaaugh ! They made that mistake nearly ten years ago when the 1336 Plus manual didn't have the data map of the RIO adapter.

Fortunately, today we have the Knowledgebase to amend such oversights.

A47133849 SMC Flex information for use with DPI interfaces

What would we do without Ken?...

I guess no one has noticed this new addition to AB's 'Support' menu?... :cool:
[attachment]
Should save lots of aggravation in the future... :D

beerchug

-Eric

askken.jpg