OS and programming packages

Andrew Hardy

I will soon be upgrading my laptop, which is running XP-Pro. I bought this as a downgrade option to be sure that I could run all my programming software.

Has anybody had any issues with running any of the following on Windows 7?

Step 7 V5.4
WinCC 2008 Flex
RSLogix 5/500/5000
Factory Talk
WonderWare InTouch
GX Developer
E Designer

Your contribution might mean I don't make a costly error!

Cheers

Andy

I runt the following software in 64 bit Windows 7:

RSLogix 5000 v13-v20
RSLogix 500 v8.40
RSLogix 5 v7.40
RSLinx v2.59

I run FactoryTalk View Studio in XP Mode because we run 6.0. 64 bit support was added in 6.1.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I'm going to have to invest in some software upgrades as well as a new laptop :cry:

Or, do what many of us do, and run everything in isolated virtual machines.

I'll never load a piece of Rockwell software any more except into a VM, just to keep it from trashing my computer.

Virtual Machines are the way to go, i've got my old copy of Windows XP with a SP2 and SP3 version as different virtual machines as some of the lovely old stuff we use doesn't even like SP3!

Check out VMWare's offers, even their free stuff is pretty awesome.

Or, do what many of us do, and run everything in isolated virtual machines.

I'll never load a piece of Rockwell software any more except into a VM, just to keep it from trashing my computer.

:doh:I hadn't thought of that - have you run a virtual PC on a mac/linux laptop? - I'm getting pretty hacked off with daily updates and the subsequent s-l-o-w-i-n-----g down of the windows laptop

:doh:I hadn't thought of that - have you run a virtual PC on a mac/linux laptop? - I'm getting pretty hacked off with daily updates and the subsequent s-l-o-w-i-n-----g down of the windows laptop

That's the joy of working with virtual machines! You are pretty much isolated from the host OS so it doesn't really matter which you use. Also, Rockwell officially supports VMware's products last i heard, but Virtualbox is a very good free alternative that works on Windows, OSX, Linux, Solaris, BSD, and no telling what else as long as you have a x86 based processor.

i am liking the idea of been able to run all them versions of RSL5k in Windows 7 64bit, i didnt like the idea of having to update all the processors to V20

are the Service pack updates for siemens win/micro free or are they part of a service contract?

Don't go cheap on the laptop! I was lucky enough to get a top end Dell m6600 at work recently and it is a beast! 16 gig of ram and a 256 ssd, the thing screams and running 4-5 virtual machines at once is not a problem.

High end Laptops plus vms is the way to go!

are the Service pack updates for siemens win/micro free or are they part of a service contract?

SUS : Software Service Update.
You buy the updates to whatever packages you use/need and they mail to you as soon as one comes out, for an (annual) fee of course.

we have a service contract with rockwell so im familiar with that setup lol.

DM are you running 7 64bit with or without SP1 as unfortunatly i was told by DELL that it didnt have SP1 installed but came with it.