RS232C to storage device

jfls45

What I'm trying to do is send data from a Micrologix 1200R via RS232C to some kind of storage device. The storage device will need to allow me to plug in a thumb drive or some other means to grab the data to put on a desktop.

Is anyone aware of such a device?

thanks

Jeffo_O

Let's make sure we understand the actual operational parameters you need.

Does the Storage Device need to have onboard memory and copy a data set to your removable drive while continuing to store data to onboard memory ?

Or is it OK for you to stop the Storage Device, remove the storage media, move it to a computer and copy the data off it, replace the storage media, and restart data logging ?

Is a network connection (FTP, HTTP, or something else) a suitable alternative for copying the data from the Storage Device to a PC ?

The Red Lion G3's (not the Kadets) and ProducTVity Station have USB Host ports, but the DataStation Plus doesn't. I know they can copy log files to the removable media on a schedule but I haven't done an application where those files were copied on-demand.

There are certainly serial data loggers that might do the job. One that I like the look and price of is the Brigantine Electronics "Dogcatcher" serial data logger.

http://www.brig-elec.com/index.html

The process can be stopped and the storage media moved off of it to a desktop PC for printing. Then the process started again. A USB thumbdrive would be perfect. We don't want to use a direct printer hookup due to the environment so a simple date storage device would be best.

I'm going to look into the links and suggestions you and the previous poster put up.

Jeff

Let's make sure we understand the actual operational parameters you need.

Does the Storage Device need to have onboard memory and copy a data set to your removable drive while continuing to store data to onboard memory ?

Or is it OK for you to stop the Storage Device, remove the storage media, move it to a computer and copy the data off it, replace the storage media, and restart data logging ?

Is a network connection (FTP, HTTP, or something else) a suitable alternative for copying the data from the Storage Device to a PC ?

The Red Lion G3's (not the Kadets) and ProducTVity Station have USB Host ports, but the DataStation Plus doesn't. I know they can copy log files to the removable media on a schedule but I haven't done an application where those files were copied on-demand.

There are certainly serial data loggers that might do the job. One that I like the look and price of is the Brigantine Electronics "Dogcatcher" serial data logger.

http://www.brig-elec.com/index.html

Last edited:
I like "The Dogcatcher". It may be exactly what we are looking for.

Next stop in this learning process for me. Can someone point me toward either a website, .pdf file or some way I can study up on RS232C communications, or how do I program my PLC to send the data I want to log, ASCII? etc...

Jeff you might want to look at the RedLion like Paul and Ken talked about. You don't need to do any real programming in the PLC it can almost all be done in the HMI.

If you use the dogcatcher, then you will have to send data to it, so I think ASCII will be your only choice.

If you use a DataStationPlus or G306K then you will have to use a Compactflash card for data storage. Removal of that card will require that you power down the device briefly to swap cards. If you use a full blown G3 or Productivity Station with USB host, then you can set it up to transfer those logs to the USB memory card without any interruption to the process. The logs appear as csv files so they are very easy to work with, and will have column labels and useful data without any special manipulation on the PC.

And like Kiper said, you can program the G3 to do all the polling requiring no new code in the Micrologix. Also, if you can network the Red Lion device with Ethernet, you can have it send those data logs to an FTP site or you can get them out of it with any web browser.

Last edited:
What I'm trying to do is send data from a Micrologix 1200R via RS232C to some kind of storage device.

Do you have the MicroLogix or is the project still in the planning stages? This is very easy to accomplish with controllers programmed with CoDeSys.

Good luck,

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

And like Kiper said, you can program the G3 to do all the polling requiring no new code in the Micrologix. Also, if you can network the Red Lion device with Ethernet, you can have it send those data logs to an FTP site or you can get them out of it with any web browser.

Hi,

I am using Productivity Station and want to show data on web browser throught internet, I also want to send data on cell phone. But I am completely new to Red lion products. Is there anywhere I can get examples of how to configure such systems.

Help and suggestions are appreciated

Hello,

You would want to enable the web server in the configuration. This will allow you to enter the units IP address into any web browser and see the webserver. Then the unit just needs to be connected to the internet with access to a public IP.

Thanks
Jeremy