Red Lion G3 Comm setup

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know this should be a simple task but I am trying to set up the comm driver in Crimson 3.0 for communications between a Micrologix 1400 and a G306. I will be using ethernet IP. If I choose Allen-Bradley for protocol 1 the driver choices don't include an EIP driver. The only possibility I see is native tag addressing. However I also want to be able to import the csv file from my RSLogix program. Thanks for the help.

I know this should be a simple task but I am trying to set up the comm driver in Crimson 3.0 for communications between a Micrologix 1400 and a G306. I will be using ethernet IP. If I choose Allen-Bradley for protocol 1 the driver choices don't include an EIP driver. The only possibility I see is native tag addressing. However I also want to be able to import the csv file from my RSLogix program. Thanks for the help.

Hello,

You will want to choose the DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP driver. This will also allow you to import your tags from RSLogix500.

Thanks
Jeremy

On the Crimson Communications settings click on Network, and enable the port first. Then set the IP address details for the G3. You have probably already done this.

Then click on Protocol 1 and then hit Pick...
Choose Allen Bradley under Manufacturer, then you can choose DF1 Master, or DF1 Master via EIP. I have had better luck when I pick just plain DF1 master for getting the Emulator to work through my particular PC to a real PLC. I am not sure why this is. Either driver should work though. The Native Tag drivers are for Controllogix and CompactLogix applications.

This will populate a "PLC1" device under Protocol 1. You can rename the device now or at any time if you want. Next, click on that device, under Device Settings > Device, you probably will want to pick Micrologix. Then set up the IP configuration for the Micrologix1400. All of the other options can be left at the default values. If you plan to read real input points, you may want to disable Spanning Reads. I have had issues with that setting dealing with a SLC and smart cards. One other quirk about tag imports: See posts #4 and #5 here.

Next, at the bottom of that window, there is a link called Create Data Tags. This is where you will import the tag database from RSLogix500. I have not used this new and improved version, but it appears you now have the option to create Crimson tag names based on symbol names and you can choose how many lines from the RSLogix500 descriptions get imported into both the Crimson Tag Names and labels. It looks like the default settings should be pretty good, but if you don't have symbols, you may want to check the box for Data File and Offset.

I am pretty sure this is designed to work with a database csv export from RSLogix500.

Hope this helps
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Okie, that was a big help. I'm accustomed to setting up PanelViews and didn't see quite what I expected. Still don't understand why DF1 should have any involvement if you are using ethernet but whatever works I guess. I was also getting sidetracked by the communications selection and how that was different from the network setup. Is there anything I need to do with the programming port if I want to download my program via ethernet?

Is there anything I need to do with the programming port if I want to download my program via ethernet?

Yes, by default downloading via ethernet is turned off. Click on Network (Under Communications) and there is a Download tab with a Remote Update category and you need to turn on IP Download. I have always left alone the other settings.

EDIT: Hey cool, I just learned how to download my app with a dynamic IP address in the cd3 file by changing the Unit Addressing on that page to Manual and picking it's current IP address...sweet! The really sweet part is that it is a new firmware version and is downloading while the app is still running so that there will only be a few seconds of interruption when it gets done...cool...the operators will probably not even notice.

Last edited: