AB SLC 150 Timer controlled Outputs

bryonc1213

Trying to control some outputs using AB SLC 150 1745-LP151, 1745-E103, and 1745-E105
Trying to control outputs using an RTF timer as I want the output for duration from 3-15 seconds for each of about 12 outputs

201 start button NO, 004 NO Is actually NC with output 14 off (relay4 when on 3 will be on) latch to NO 901 timer pre 0000
901 NO, Output RTF 902 pre 120 seconds
902 NO, Output RTF 903 pre 003
903 NO, Output 112 (coal loader dumps for 3 seconds then off
902 NO, 901 NC, Output 901 reset 0000

Basically what I have been trying to do is start a 2 minute timer 902 during the 2 minutes complete a series of timed duration output turning on an output for say 3 seconds to 15 seconds at the end of 2 minutes the 903 (in this example) is done and resets the timers and allows a repeat operation at the press of 201 after 2 minutes has expired

Control is based on relay (11, 12 MCR) , one of the reset relay controlled by relay output 14 NC off input 004 is on and with 14 output true Input 3 is on and 4 is Off, 201 is the start and output are 211-216 and, 210 is an always hot status input and outputs 11 and 12 are MCR Power on There are are about 12 durations to control this is only of them I do have a complete matrix of the layout but this basically would repeat every 3 rungs or so using PCIS to operate via a computer link any help or ideas is appreciated

Welcome to the forum!
I can't follow how the first statement beginning with 201 start button. You need to zip and attach the program file with the .100 extension. That way we can open the file and see how to help you. Here's how to attach a file. 1st, Zip your file, then, Click on the Go Advanced Button below near the bottom of the page. When the Advanced page opens, scroll down to the bottom of that page, Click on the Attach Files Button. Click on a Browse Button, find your file, Open, Click on Upload.

Last edited:
i tried earlier to do a text print did not show good thansk for the instruction to upload this is not te compelte file but it gives you an idea also if i get an output it never times out no matter how i try to reset the timer thank you

This probably won't work but try it and see. Using your simple.zip file in post #4, I changed rung 3 by removing 901 NO and the branch. I then added 901 NC in series on rung 3. I personally dont like RTF timers. I find it harder to follow. I prefer RTO plus logic to accomplish the RTF feature. Nothing wrong with RTF, just the way I learned. RTF was not available with the software I was using at the time.

Last edited:
the Hold start circuit rung 3 i changed the branch to start at NO 201 so the stop 004 is to the left and the hold in rung is below in the branch
this parts works oK just cant find a way to perform the timed duration on then Off then reset and so on for the next 12 output time controlled durations if the duration starts it wont shut off or Reset

Actually that does seem to make a difference I realized one thing my timer was set to 0015 which is 1.5 seconds Duho removed the branch and installed the NC 901 timed circuit went off after the 15 seconds appx getting closer now i need to get the reset to work thanks for the Idea :>)

Here is simple2 the timer and the reset work the duration was one problem and the addition of the NC 901 and removal of the branch did the trick since 201 start does not reset until time is up i used that to do the reset with 03 input

I am really glad that i signed up in 2006 with this PLC Forum :>) all it takes is some one to see around the issue and bang away you go set timer 1 to 1200 2 mintues add a few test rungs, track power is on for 2 minutes then the lights are on then the dinner and Timer 2 smoke for 60 seconds and they both reset!

Sweet thanks Every one i will be back with some more questions but i can continue to program the next 12 or so controlled durations picutes and video coming in about a week

new problem, need a way to Squence the timers so the timers fire in order at the moment its hit and miss any ideas Relized while i was stoping to exlcude the timers out the sequnces reads from top to bottom and does not stop to activate timers in order of prefereance
currently if i start 201 and then get 212 and 211 outputs rungs 09 & 13
this is compelte program 1st stage No trains running as yet.

Can you draw a 120 second timeline and show what and when you want each output on and off?

Edit:
I still believe you will find that the RTO timer will be better suited for sequencing the rest of the outputs. Of course the timeline would help to see exactly what you want to do. The RTF for 901 will do what you wanted for the 2 minute part. I would not change that part.

Last edited:
their is a lot going on in the 1st phase load and run accesories
the 2nd future will actully run the trains sequence and the coal operations

attached is the matrix in pdf see page 2 for 1st phase timings
i will likly have to do an event sequncer unless thier is an easier way
thought of using an rto after the rtf but still runs top to bottom
so close

if i use a sequncer i assume i need at least 3 of them since i have 5 blocks of controls 1,2,3,4 5 via 3 devices How would i do cross block controls see 1st page of matrix above example otuputs outputs 112 output 212 output for one example

Here's a suggestion for a quick test using coaload1.100 file.
Rung 7: Remove 903 NC. Change timer to RTO.
Rung 8: Remove 903 NO. Add 901 NO and 903 NC. Output is 112 (unchanged).
Rung 9: Remove 904 NC. Change timer to RTO.
Rung 10:Remove 904 NO. Add 901 NO and 904 NC. Output is 212 (unchanged).
Rung 25: Change 903 NC to 903 NO.
Rung 26: Change 904 NC to 904 NO.
Let me know how this works out.

Last edited: