RSLogix5K and Alias Tags

gizmo

I've got a tag (HV100) of Datatype = valvetype (user defined).
Valvetype has 5 members
HV100
|-- HV100.OpenCmd
|-- HV100.CloseCmd
|-- HV100.OpenLS
|-- HV100.CloseLS
|-- HV100.Fault

All above are datatype=BOOL and style=Binary.

I want to alias some of these members (exm:HV100.OpenLS) to Realworld I/O (exm: Local:2:O.Data[0].0).

Can this be done?

Thanks!

Why, The way the user defined data type is setup up suggests that a real world command and status word/words are moved into the UDT. With this happening why do you need to alias, especially to an output from what I assume is an input. Regards Alan

follow up

I setting up a On/Off Valve Faceplate in RSView32. I'd like to use the same faceplate for all valves and use a tag substitutions/replace each time I call up that faceplate for a different valve.

On my faceplace I want to put a HV# tag for all the links with # being the identifier for each valve. This is where my datatype (valvetype) comes in.
I want all valve tagnames to have the same structure:
HV100
|-- HV100.OpenCmd
|-- HV100.CloseCmd
|-- HV100.OpenLS
|-- HV100.CloseLS
|-- HV100.Fault

Then use these on my faceplate. I need the Realworld Open Limit switch (Local:2:I.Data[0].0) to turn on the HV100.OpenLS member.
And so on! I was hoping that I could do this by aliasing them and not directly writting to them in ladder logic like below.
.Local:2:I.Data[0].0.......HV100.OpenLS
----------||--------------------()

Anyone have any ideas about how to do this without having to use ladder logic.

Thanks!!

I don't think you'd be able to do this without alot of ladder. The only thing that comes to mind would be something similar to the way I handle analog conditioning in clogix. That is to align all the inputs into an array then to use indirect addressing to minimize the logic to a couple of rungs. When using analogs its a matter of a COP instruction to align them. With discrete's you'd have a rung for each input in which case, if you are already writing a rung for each input you might as well just code what you have above.

The only way I see this working is if the I/O were wired such that all your ZSC's were wired sequentially on a card(s) and the same with the ZSO's. Then you could copy the whole 16 bits of the card into an array.

I use the method you outline all the time. Yes I have to use ladder to map data into the UDT. By using a standard rung to do this for all the objects (valves, motors, etc) it is a simple enough job to create all the ones I need with cut, paste and replace.

However the ability to alias within a UDT would be very nice and would save some time and effort. Indeed the more you use UDT's the less useful aliasing becomes because of this current limitation.

However I recall mention in the RSLogix forums and that Ver13 or 14 may add the ability to alias to UDT members.

This, along with the ability to on-line edit UDT's, is the key feature I would like to see in ControlLogix.