LogixPro Batch Simulation Help

DaMaXMaN

Hi there,
I'm trying to create a simulation with certain perimeters for a school assignment, and I'm pulling out my hair since I was having surgery when they gave the lectures on this particular logic.

I've managed to get the logic to run once through, but I am having trouble implementing the STOP button. The STOP button should "be used to interrupt operation, and continue operation by pressing the START button."

Any help, suggestions, comments, or even tips on simplifying the logic (linked to below) will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

-Max

http://www.4shared.com/file/00DH-7qR/mybatch01.html

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Attached are two files. The 1st is a pdf of the original for fredz0003. The 2nd one is for DaMaXMaN that has some revisions of the original. It probably still needs work. Test it and see what else it might need. I did not attach the .rsl revised file since you stated it was an assignment and you want to learn.

Last edited:
You are quite welcome. The revisions added the Stop button in rung 0 and removed the seal-in or holding contacts for pump 1 and 2. I also added some Run Light contacts. If you find any other errors, please re-post the final working file for future readers.

Last edited:
Any help, suggestions, comments, or even tips on simplifying the logic (linked to below) will be appreciated.
(1) This is just a heads-up for your future programs. You used 3 PLC outputs (O:3/2, O:3/5, O:3/7) for relays that could just as easily have been internal PLC relays (B3:0/0, B3:0/1, B3:0/2 for example). It doesn't matter for this student exercise, but when you get into the real world, PLC outputs become precious, like gold or diamonds, and cannot be squandered lightly. Outputs and Inputs cost extra, so in general using external I/O, where internal PLC bits would do the job, is considered to be poor practice.

(2) If you press Stop during the Drain mode when Pump 3 is running, it does not stop. What could you do to fix that little problem?

(3) Your Mixer starts before the tank is full (at the same time that Pump 2 starts). I think the original LogixPro Student Exercise required the mixer to start when the tank is full and at the correct temperature.

(4) For your Rungs 8 and 9, you could easily delete one of the auxiliary relays, either "EMPTY" or "DONE". For example, when the Low Level Switch goes on, you could latch on "DONE", and forget about "EMPTY". Every rung where you use EMPTY, you can instead go to the horse's mouth and use LOW LEVEL SENSOR. I suggest make "DONE" into "CYCLE DONE". Why not let your descriptions actually describe something, instead of creating another question "What is DONE"?

(5) You really do not need to Latch your DONE relay. The fewer bits that are latched, the better and safer your program will be. In fact, ask yourself if DONE is doing anything or adding anything that LOW LEVEL SENSOR does not already do?

Last edited:
(1) This is just a heads-up for your future programs. You used 3 PLC outputs (O:3/2, O:3/5, O:3/7) for relays that could just as easily have been internal PLC relays (B3:0/0, B3:0/1, B3:0/2 for example). It doesn't matter for this student exercise, but when you get into the real world, PLC outputs become precious, like gold or diamonds, and cannot be squandered lightly. Outputs and Inputs cost extra, so in general using external I/O, where internal PLC bits would do the job, is considered to be poor practice.

(2) If you press Stop during the Drain mode when Pump 3 is running, it does not stop. What could you do to fix that little problem?

(3) Your Mixer starts before the tank is full (at the same time that Pump 2 starts). I think the original LogixPro Student Exercise required the mixer to start when the tank is full and at the correct temperature.

(4) For your Rungs 8 and 9, you could easily delete one of the auxiliary relays, either "EMPTY" or "DONE". For example, when the Low Level Switch goes on, you could latch on "DONE", and forget about "EMPTY". Every rung where you use EMPTY, you can instead go to the horse's mouth and use LOW LEVEL SENSOR. I suggest make "DONE" into "CYCLE DONE". Why not let your descriptions actually describe something, instead of creating another question "What is DONE"?

(5) You really do not need to Latch your DONE relay. The fewer bits that are latched, the better and safer your program will be. In fact, ask yourself if DONE is doing anything or adding anything that LOW LEVEL SENSOR does not already do?

1. Ok, good to know, I was wondering why B bit were generally used here instead of O.
2. I was unaware of this (might have been fixed on the revision) but I will investigate when I get a chance.
3. On this assignment, there are specific instructions to start the mixer when pump 2 is running.
4. Due to the next part of the assignment (adding a continuous sequence), I've had to re-evaluate some of these things and make some changes.
5. I think this Latched bit is causing me all the headaches in the above mentioned second part of the assignment. I will remove it when I get back on the project; I've just got to focus on other final exams currently.

Thank you very much for all the advice, I truly appreciate it, and I assure you it will not be wasted on me. =)

-Max