USB Barcode Reader and Red Lion G3

jseavers

I have a upcomming project using a G310 and was wondering if you can hook up a barcode reader direct to the HMI for part identification. If this is possible what brand barcode reader do you guys use?

Thanks!

Probably not through the USB port. AFAIK, the USB port can host keyboards and memory devices and that's it. If your reader has a serial option, then I think it is likely you could make it work.

We recently completed a vision inspection project that included a G306 and handheld barcode scanner. Scanner was used to select what product they are inspecting.

I don't know if you can connect via the G3 USB port. We used a Microscan HS-1 (LINK) with their RS-232 converter kit (Microscan P/N 98-000111-01). The converter kit totally replaces the existing USB cable, it's not just a USB to serial converter.

Note: I think we had to set up the scanner on a PC via USB first, THEN switch to the serial cable.

🍻

-Eric

You can bring a scanner in though the USB host port but it can only be used to populate a data entry box that is already popped up on the screen. The preferred way at this time is to have a scanner with a serial output. We typically recommend the symbol brand scanners.