Resume help - should I put AOI and UDT in there ?

passwordg

Guys, hopefully this is a quick question.
Should I mention that I can comfortably work with UDTs and AOIs in ControlLogix in my resume or is it too superficial ?
I feel like putting it in there because I know very few people who are good with them. Please advice ?

Similiar question for:
Panelview Screens, RSLogic 5, RSLogix 500, Device Net, Remote I/O and other topics.
Now, a lot of people can work with these.
Still, do I mention these explicitly ?

Last silly question,
Can the resume go over 1 page for less than 2 years experience ?

:)

Last edited:
I think mentioning the specific software programs you are capable of working with should be in your resume. I don't see much value in adding specific instructions or features. If I got a resume from someone that said they are fluent in RSLogix 5000 I would expect them to know how to use AOIs and UDTs or at least have the capacity to quickly pick up how to use them.

As for going over 1 page, I say use as many as it takes. Alot of HR types will disagree but in our field I feel one page just doesn't give a big enough picture of the applicant. When I was in the job market my resume was 3 pages and I never got any complaints and I never had a problem finding a job.

Thats my 2 cents.

The first page should be your super page, write down your caliber value and how good you are, your best experience ex. " Programming the landing gears for Boeing 787 dreamliner" .. that would be Waa!! for the reader or the bosses.. what i mean is the first page should be an eye cather.. first impression is always good..

Good Luck

If you can leverage any associated savings by using AOI's then that might be pertinent. Working efficiently is always a plus.

Guys, hopefully this is a quick question.
Should I mention that I can comfortably work with UDTs and AOIs in ControlLogix in my resume or is it too superficial ?
I wouldn't bother mentioning UDTs and AOIs. I would put an emphasis on applications starting with the most challenging.

I feel like putting it in there because I know very few people who are good with them. Please advice ?
I am an employer. AOI and UDTs are just tools. I would be more interested in your problem solving ability. I am interested in 'forever knowledge'.

Similiar question for:
Panelview Screens, RSLogic 5, RSLogix 500, Device Net, Remote I/O and other topics.
Now, a lot of people can work with these.
Still, do I mention these explicitly ?
You can mention these but again I think these a simply tools.

Last silly question,
Can the resume go over 1 page for less than 2 years experience ?
:)
Why not? However, I agree with those that say you must highlight your best accomplishments.

If I were you I wouldn't send the same resume to everyone. I would do a little research on the companies to which you are applying and emphasize what you can do for them.

If you do get a interview you should know this. I don't ever expect anybody to know much about what we do. I do place a high weight on the questions that the interviewee asks. It shows that he understand the problems even if he doesn't have the answers, asking the right questions is the right start.

I think Peter hit the most important part of the answer here:

If I were you I wouldn't send the same resume to everyone. I would do a little research on the companies to which you are applying and emphasize what you can do for them.
Tailoring your resume for the individual company is key.

As for listing AOIs ad UDTs, that comes down to the position for which you are applying and the level of the person you expect to read the resume. Peter and his company are technically very high-level and I suspect that is why he wouldn't be impressed by those. On the other hand, if you are applying to more of a manufacturing company where your future boss sees lots of resumes ranging from all sorts of skill levels, this could be good information. The same is true for listing the software tools like DeviceNet and RSLogix; the guy looking to fill that one-and-only technical position within a manufacturing company might be very interested in what's in your toolbox.

I agree with those who say the multi-page resume is no big deal. When looking for a technical type, more relevant information is better. I am never put off by a lengthy resume from someone with a technical skill-set so long as they can possibly fit the bill. If they can, I read and re-read the entire resume regardless of its length and, if they don't, I usually see that pretty early and set it aside regardless of its length. The only time I think the one-page resume matters is when you are one of a very large group of similarly-skilled applicants. Then your resume form and format have to standout on there own just to get people to read it in the first place.

Steve

I was looking for those exact keywords when hiring

When we were hiring, I got over 70 resumes with similar experience with Rockwell software. During interviews I asked people about UDTs and AOIs and out of 6 interviews only one could explain the benefits of using them... To me this was important because we'd hired a couple of duds before. They had all this 'experience' programming with RSLogix, etc., yet they couldn't comprehend these things.