Ethernet/dh+ problems

ukguy777

Hi

I am having a problem sending data to a DH+ panelview, and wondered if anyone could help.

I am trying to send data from a controllogix processor via an ethernet module to another controllogix backplane which contains an ethernet card and a DHRIO card (but no processor). The panelview which needs to read this data is attatched to this DHRIO card on channel A. How should i set up the message instruction??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is "It can't be done".

Thanks in advance

Guy Martin

I am not certain of all the details (maybe someone else can help) but the key to gettng this to work is to configure a routing table in the DHRIO module so that the module knows how to map DH+ node addresses to a path back to your processor.

Recall that the CIP protocol that allows ControlLogix do all of its routing and multiple bridging is not supported by DH+, so the DHRIO module has to do some work to translate DH+ addresses to a CIP path.

This used to be set up with an separate application called Gateway Configuration, but I think it is now intergrated with RSLinx.

Once you have created the module and when the 1756-DHRIO bridge device setting is selected, the Remote Routing Configuration screen displays.

To address a DHRIO module, you must provide a path or route. To do this, you must set up a routing table. The routing table translates link ID and node address information into path or routing information. To create a routing table:

Select the DHRIO Routing Table tab.

Add, delete, or edit modules as necessary.

Click Apply.

Also I think your processor will need to be in slot 0 for all this to work. (This description isn't quite complete but it is fairly close. )

A DH+ PanelView is going to expect to be able to scan PLC5 style addresses,(N7:0 etc) so you will also have to create the tags you want to scan in the ControlLogix processor using the PLC5 mapping tool. (Look under Logic/Map PLC,SLC Messages).

Create an INT array in the processor (call it say N10) and give it as many elements as you need. Then in the Mapping tool allocate this to File 10. Now when the PanelView scan request arrives looking for say N10:25, the processor will respond with the contents of N10[25].

There used to be a problem with Panleview communications in this method.

(PC to Logix Chassis Enet to backplane to DHRIO to Panleviewon DH+)

If I remeber correctly, you should be able to upload the existing program from the panelview but downloading to the panelview is not possible.

AB was supposed to fix this in later software upgrades but I don't know if it ever came about.

I would call Tech support or check out the knowledge base.

Tim

A PanelView terminal on an unscheduled network like DH+ is always going to be requesting data from a controller, and sending data to that controller.

The controller can never sent unsolicited data to the PanelView, so there's no MSG instruction to set up in the controller.

Now, the question is whether a DH+ PanelView can access a controller that is more than one "CIP hop" away on a CIP networking system.

I don't think that it can. When you configure the communications for a DH+ terminal in PanelBuilder32, the only options are the DH+ Node Number and the Controller Type. There is no option for Link ID or Remote Bridge Address, which would be necessary for a message to go out from the DHRIO to the backplane, over Ethernet, etc.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

After consulting rockwell, we have since found out that it is not possible, as the PV needs a processor in the chassis with the DHRIO module. We are now looking at "cheap" solutions (seems like a contradiction-a cheap Allen Bradley solution ;-) ), such as a DeviceNet PV (the chassis already has a DeviceNet scanner module in it).

Once again thanks for your help.

All the best

Guy Martin

such as a DeviceNet PV (the chassis already has a DeviceNet scanner module in it).
For ease of use and lack of programming hassles, I would strongly recommend going for an ethernet PV instead of devicenet.

I agree with Gerry on this one. I have always had better luck with the unscheduled message interfaces than the scheduled ones. Ethernet has worked pretty will for me in those cases. With Ethernet you would get unrestricted, direct access to both plcs as a side benefit, if that is desired.

Keith

Hi

Ethernet PV is not possible as budget restrictions and the existing installation require a PV550 (which is not available to us in ethernet form).

Thanks a lot for all your help, it's much appreciated

Guy Martin

PV550 EtherNet/IP

The PanelView 550 is available with an EtherNet/IP port, and the new ones have that nifty 50,000 hour LED backlight too.

2711-K5A20 is the part number, and it's the same price as the DH+ unit.

(Sigh. If only the PV Standard comms were modular.)

What I really like about the EtherNet/IP PanelView terminals and ControlLogix is that you can set up a scheduled I/O connection to service your pushbuttons and indicators, and run your analog data at a slower solicited polling rate.

I have a question along the same line. I would like to use a ethernet Panelview and route the communications back to a PLC 5. The communications would be like:

Ethernet PV -- ControlLogix Ethernet Card -- Controllogix DHRIO card -- PLC 5

Does any one know if this is do-able?

Thanks

Based on Ken's earlier message I would suspect no. I don't know of any way you can define the whole path you need on the Panelview. Maybe the CLX Ethernet card can forward it for you based on IP address. But if it can, that's a function I've never heard of (but would like to).

Keith

I'm not too clever with the comms side of things (or any side of things for that matter), but that is possible with a ControlLogix processor in the backplane containing the ethernet and DHRIO modules?

Or have i missed something??

BTW: To all who helped me, thanks, but the Ethernet PV is a no go because we already have a DeviceNet cable running close to the location of the PanelView, so DeviceNet Panelview means no more cabling. But thanks for making me aware that PV550's exist in ethernet form (they're not listed in our current catalogue).

All the best

Guy

It is possible to talk from a ethernet PV to a Controllogix through ethernet, but my problem is that I do not have a Controllogix processer in the rack. We are using a ControlLogix rack and 1 ethernet card and 1 DHRIO card just to set up routing between DH+ and ethernet. From my office I can help support any machine in Mexico or in or 2 plants here. I don't actual change anything remotely, but I will talk the local tech through problems. What I would like to do is use this same set up and run my HMIs through it, but I do not think it is possible.