SLC5/03 to EthernetIP

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
Have an existing system with a SLC5/03. Channel 1 is connected to an 1761-NET-AIC via a 1761-CBL-AS03. It then has a PVP700 going to the AIC with a 2711-NC21.

Looking for opinions on the best route to take adding an EthernetIP network. I have a few third party EthernetIP/ModbusTCP devices I would like the SLC to control.

The options I am considering are:

1) Purchase a Red Lion DSPLE000 to act as a gateway to the DH485.

2) Purchase a Prosoft module (MVI46-MNET) and use ModbusTCP/IP

3) Replace the 5/03 with a 5/05 and continue to use the comm port and HMI on the AIC.

4) Purchase a 1761-NET-ENI and use it on the other comm port of the 5/03.

Any suggestions on what the most painless route is, or if I am overlooking any better options?

3) Replace the 5/03 with a 5/05 and continue to use the comm port and HMI on the AIC.
seems least painless to me for a Monday morning!!
not knowing what these are: a few third party EthernetIP/ModbusTCP devices

They are indexing servo drives I will be sending positions to and operting with a control word and monitoring with a status word. Not a "high performance" application so the commands/communication does not have to be super high speed.

I am a huge fan of Red Lion. They can NOT control over Ethernet IP. They can be a modbus master.

Hi Jeff, I did notice that the DSP doesn't appear to have a EIP scanner mode. I have not used the DSP units yet, but it seems like a screenless G3. For option 1 I was going to use DH485 to the PLC and ModbusTCPIP to the drives.

We utilized a G3's protocol conversion once, but the performance would suffer depending on how much information was on the currently displayed screen.

Thanks

I have never had a problem with a slowdown unless the tags where not there in the target.
How many drives are you talking about using?

I have never had a problem with a slowdown unless the tags where not there in the target.
How many drives are you talking about using?

Just two.

Yes, it was pretty evident that it was screen content. On that machine it was acting as a bridge between a ModbusTCPIP device and an L35E via EIP. Tags were imported with an L5K file. It worked, but if you went to a busy screen my update cycle would go from around 200msec to 1200msec. We ended up doing Modbus RTU out of the L35E's comm port directly to the V570. Yes, that's right. I went from Ethernet to serial modbus to get better response. My update cycle on the Modbus RTU was around 110ms. The routine for implementing Modbus in the L35E is a monster though. That one task was bigger than the rest of the program.

Was the G3 program huge? The only time I have gotten the "WORKING " stop sign was a page that had 100 recipes from the PLC all ASCII. Took a while. Either Dan Yost or Jeremy Howell had me make then internal tags then copy them to the PLC in a program tuning in the background.