Abb plc

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone on here have any comments regarding the capabilities and user friendliness of ABB PLCs? I must say that it is one of the few PLCs that I am aware of that I have yet to see in a physical application in my neck of the woods. Is there anyone out there using a lot of these? If so, what are their strengths and weaknesses.

You did not specify which PLC’s in particular?

AC800 series, Melody, Advant 160, Advant 450, P13, P14 etc.

I worked for ABB for 14 years on Power Utility applications (but that was more than 7 years ago) where I mainly worked on the Advant range of products. Later applications moved to the Melody (which used to be owned by Hartmann & Braun)

The last one I worked on was the AC800M series.

As you’ve noted, they are all different. You need to select depending on your application requirements. ABB is very good with Redundant type applications. Easy to setup and no fuss. For fast, critical control, use the Melody. For Water type utilities, and of the Advant series.

Power station automation and control, the P14 (if the P14 is still active)

User friendliness? I found the Advant series to be the easiest, then the P14, and lastly the Melody. The Advant series (with exception the AC800F – Freelance) allows you to program in most all available PLC programming languages and the user interface is like most software editors. The freelance in my eye is just simply “NOT A NICE WORD”

Those are the ones that I know of. They (ABB) might have new products, but in my current line of work, we do not use ABB at all. Mostly SIEMENS S300/S400 and Allen Bradley.

I've had a run in with the ABB 800xA system and i was not impressed.

It seems so cluttered and inconsistent i wouldnt recommend it to anyone honestly.