RSlogix5000 Tag description

Michal_dk

Hi Guys!

I'm looking into automating the tag description for multiple alike tags - say 10 control tags for the same type of equipment (in my case added using the Generic Ethernet module).
Rockwell has told me that the new EDS possibilities from v. 20 will not include tag descriptions, and it will probably not come for quite som time (if at all).

In the most basic version I have 2 16 bit words (both for input and output) the first word is control/status and would need the single bits to be described as Start, Stop, Reset a.s.o. the second word is the reference/feedback and should be described in the 16 bit form (INT type).

I would really like to be able to create a UDT and use this as the data structure for the tags created for the Generic Module. But since this is not possible (as far as I know) I'd have to copy the Generic Module I/O tags into new tags based on my UDT. This way I would need twice the amount of tags (memory space) and that is not acceptable.

Running a script putting in my decriptions in the right places in the Generic Module I/O tags would do the trick - Provided it could be done by pointing the script to the right tag and then "Press Start". But I have a feeling that this is not possible either.

I don't want to export the tags to excel or the like, as this would be too troublesome when adding equipment on the fly.

So, all ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Michal_dk