AB SLC comms channel pass-through channel0 /channel1

The SLC-5/04 does this best. It allows DF1/DH+ passthrough very well, and to a lesser extent will bridge messages from DH485 to DH+ (I've not been able to do upload/download/online that way).

The 5/05 does some Ethernet/DH485 and Ethernet/DF1 passthrough, but you need to configure a routing table to make it happen.

The principal problem I've run into is that when I try to connect to the DF1 port (Channel 0) when Passthrough is enabled, I lose the AutoConfigure feature I'm so accustomed to. The problem is that the packets aren't responded to by the SLC, but rather passed through to the DH+, where they don't make sense and aren't replied to.

The SLC has just the one processor churning away inside, so it has to take some time after the logic scan to process communications on both ports. It's not nearly as fast to pass through an SLC as it is to go through a ControlLogix.

If you were asking about the Channel 0 and Channel 1 of the SLC-5/03, it doesn't have any passthrough capability at all.

Yes, I was talking about a 5/04. So......
and to a lesser extent will bridge messages from DH485 to DH+ (I've not been able to do upload/download/online that way).
My idea of bridging DH+ and DH-485 networks (via AIC+ connected to CH0 of the SLC)isnt possible?

There's that nagging word, "Possible".

There are two status bits in the 5/04 which regulate the Passthrough functions.

S:34/0 DH485 Passthrough Disable
S:34/5 DF1 Passthrough Enable

With both of those set to zero (which is default), you should be able to pass packets from DH+ to DH485.

This is what RSLogix 500 Help has to say about it:

The default setting for this bit is clear (0). When clear (0) the processor allows packets to be passed from one channel to the other. When set (1) this pass-thru is not allowed. Channel 0 must be configured for DH-485 protocol. Only packets that contain the Internet network layer and whose Destination Link ID equals that specified for the opposite channel will be passed. The default Link ID for channel 0 is (1). The default Link ID for channel 1 is (2).

Although RSLogix 500 shows this bit in the Channel 0 Status table for all OS versions of the SLC-5/04, I don't think it's always been in there. Histories are notoriously difficult to come up with around here....

Specifically what did you want to set up on the DH-485 that you wish to upload/download to ? PanelView ? MicroLogix ?

I was able to go online, upload, and download to a MicroLogix 1000 on DH-485 by passing through a SLC-5/04 controller on DH+. I have a 1784-PCMK/B card, RSLinx is version 2.30.02, and the SLC-5/04 has new firmware (OS401 Series C).

[attachment]

If I put another layer of linking in, by passing through a ControlLogix gateway with ENBT and DHRIO modules, I was not able to get the passthrough to work. So stick to the local DH+.

Last edited:
This was actually a combination of ideas/problems that I have been pondering.

Micrologix 1500, Panelview 300, Compactlogix, SLC5/02.....

ML1500 and PV300 are one system, and the other two are adjacent systems. Since we are going to be in there doing some upgrading,I figured I could make a network out of the area. I was wondering if I could connect the AIC+ to channel 1 of my ML1500(LRP), configure channel 0 DF1, so a simple serial connection could be made to the network, So I called the local distributor. He said no pass through capability. He proceeded to tell me that he thought the only AB PLC that was capable of passing across CH1/CH0 was a SLC 5/05. I remembered being able to browse channel 0 in RSLinx from DH+. So I had to post....

Question 2:

SLC 5/04 with a few DH+ nodes (other SLC's PLC5's and PV's)
NET-ENI connected to channel 0

Can I connect on the ethernet network and browse/upload/download/online the DH+ network?

Well, this has the makings of a Long Story....

You've seen that the SLC-5/04 can bridge DH+ to DH485 pretty effectively. You can't talk to some older devices on DH-485 over this bridge because of their limitations in responding to off-link messages... so your 5/02 is out of luck.

The 1761-NET-ENI is strictly for bridging Allen-Bradley Ethernet to DF1. It cannot handle any more off-link jumps. I tried this with a 5/04 and lost communications as soon as I enabled DF1 Passthrough.

This might not be the case in the future; Series B of the Net-ENI is coming out later this year. But I don't know how many features it's going to have, only that it will support native tags in my CompactLogix, which the feature I need.

Sure.....shoot all my plans down! :(

Sometimes I get a little mixed up in this sea of communication confusion.

I guess I got a little more planning to do.

Thanks

Last edited:
I didn't say you couldn't do those things, just that the devices you specified can't do them.

For example: "I want to go from a PC on Ethernet onto a DH+ network"

Method #1: ControlLogix chassis with 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO. Fast, seamless, simple, expensive.

Method #2: Lantronix CoBox-DR1 with COM Port Redirector software, and the SLC-5/04 DF1/DH+ Passthrough. Yes, this should work even though the 1761-NET-ENI does not, because of the unique function of the COM Port Redirector software. Slower, cheaper.

Your DH-485 system is a little tougher because of the limited DH-485 capabilities of the SLC-5/02 and the CompactLogix.... we can take that up in another thread if you like.

Ken Roach said:
Well, this has the makings of a Long Story....

You've seen that the SLC-5/04 can bridge DH+ to DH485 pretty effectively. You can't talk to some older devices on DH-485 over this bridge because of their limitations in responding to off-link messages... so your 5/02 is out of luck.

But but but...

You can send & receive messages from the 5/02 etc if the message is initiated from the 5/04.

We have an application where data to/from a DH+ Panelview goes to a 5/04 slc, then onto a fixed I/O slc500 on a DH485 network.

(I'll admit we cannot download/upload using this bridge, but sending messages has been ok. We actually use a KA5 card that resides in a PLC 5 rack for this purpose.)

I have a laptop with a PCMK on a DH+ network connected to a 5/04. The 5/04 has channel 0 configured as a DF1 half duplex master, and there are several Micrologix 1000's communicating to channel 0 as DF1 half duplex slaves at 9600 baud. Is it possible to to pass through Channel 1 DH+ to Channel 0 DF1 half duplex to get online with these processors? How is this configured in RS Linx?