slc 5/03 comms

RY_Guthrie

Been years since i have went online with a slc, but I

am using a usb to serial convertor and tried the df1 driver and the other drivers and none of them seem to work. Under controller properties/controller the offline program is saying Driver: AB_pic-1 Route:local processor node 1. If I am reading all the threads correctly, this will only allow a computer with a actual serial port to connect, not a usb to serial convertor. I have attached the plc program sipped. Is that correct?

Been years since i have went online with a slc, but I

am using a usb to serial convertor and tried the df1 driver and the other drivers and none of them seem to work. Under controller properties/controller the offline program is saying Driver: AB_pic-1 Route:local processor node 1. If I am reading all the threads correctly, this will only allow a computer with a actual serial port to connect, not a usb to serial convertor. I have attached the plc program sipped. Is that correct?

which serial converter are you using?

I have ran into some serial converters that do not work well with DF1 drivers for AB. for whatever reason they work fine in a terminal but won't find anything in RSlinx after being configured (autoconfigure doesn't work on them either).

The problem is these are counterfeit adapters purchased off of Ebay that look exactly like a 9300-USBS, the Allen bradley blue serial converter.

as a precaution and for the future, if I were you, I would purchase a Tripp-lite USA-19HS. This is a good converter that always works and has some nice built in troubleshooting tools for people who aren't familiar with serial devices.

RSLinx is picky about which USB serial adapters it will use. Make sure you get one with a good chipset, not the $8 Amazon deal.

Also Driver: AB_pic-1 might be it is setup for the old P.I.C. adapter that used the serial port and was used before the UIC came out.

Another gotcha is RSLogix doesn't show the driver that was used for that program, it shows the last driver RSLogix used when it went online with any PLC. Under COMM's if you click Go Online it will go to that last used driver and try to connect through it - even if that driver is off or not connected, that's why you have to select Who's Online and pick the correct driver.

Another gotcha is RSLogix doesn't show the driver that was used for that program, it shows the last driver RSLogix used when it went online with any PLC.
While you are correct that RSLogix will not necessarily show the last driver used for the program, you are incorrect that it will just use the last driver it connected to any PLC with. I just opened two different projects in sequence without going online at all and the shown driver changed for each of them.

If the driver shown is incorrect, go to System Comms and select the correct path then check 'Apply to Project' in the lower right corner of the dialogue box before hitting OK so that the project driver is updated. If you use a different driver without hitting that box, it will not remember the new driver the next time you try to go online, even if you save the program.

I suspect that if you are seeing it try to go online always using whatever you last went online with, your project does not have any set driver. It seems the default is always to not update the setting.

The fact that the pic driver is shown here suggests that whoever originally programmed it used that driver on channel 1 (the RJ45 port).

...Under controller properties/controller the offline program is saying Driver: AB_pic-1 Route:local processor node 1.

Your issue is the driver NOT the cable (maybe the cable) since you are trying to go "On-Line" your driver is set to PIC so the last person was using the 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC and NOT the RS232 (DB9) port

Using the same cable... dont click GO ON-LINE, Click COMMS, System Comms then select your driver and if you see the PLC then go 'online'

Before you do all that in RSLinx configure your driver, see the video below and try to auto config the driver

Also.... what else are you using? you cant use just the USB to Serial converter you have to use a CP3 or Null modem cable and this if for the DB9 port on the 5/03 if you are trying to connect to the RJ45 you will need to use a 1747-UIC