Siemens MPI USB adapter Cable

juanmdx

Hello everyone,

A few months ago we purchased the MPI-USB adapter Siemens cable, which came with an USB to MPI module cable, the MPI module, and a DB9-DB9 cable.

Well the thing is that we can't find the DB9 cable, and I was wondering if I can buy a generic one, or do I have to purchase anotherone with Siemens.

If I can buy a generic one, I would really appreciate if you could tell me which one I can use.

Thanks and best regards

Juan

Follow the links in the second post (from daba)...

http://www.automation.siemens.com/W...ow.aspx?PageIndex=1&PostID=144100&Language=en

It looks like you 'might' be able to use a straight-through male-to-male cable, with pin 9 chopped off from at least 1 end. The cable schematic shows no wiring between pins 1-1 and 6-6 either, but according to the 'description of signals' on that port, pins 1 and 6 are labeled 'no connection', so it shouldn't matter (although I don't like that P5V name on pin 6).

Might be best to wait for one of our resident Siemens gurus to chime in before proceeding... :nodi:

🍻

-ERic

I have this cable...
Eric is right,it is straight-through male-to-male cable,no connection between 1 to 1,9 to 9,6 to 6...
Nice day...

I just started at a new company, as the only person with programming and troubleshooting experience. ALL of my experience is with AB/Logix. Right before I hired they bought a new laptop with ONLY USB coms. I have the AB situation taken care of, but am unsure what all I need with Siemens. We have this module, is there another module we might need for different siemens processors? (ex. SLC 500 vs PLC5 vs micrologix with AB)

I just started at a new company, as the only person with programming and troubleshooting experience. ALL of my experience is with AB/Logix. Right before I hired they bought a new laptop with ONLY USB coms. I have the AB situation taken care of, but am unsure what all I need with Siemens. We have this module, is there another module we might need for different siemens processors? (ex. SLC 500 vs PLC5 vs micrologix with AB)

Sounds like you need to start a new thread.

The module above is for MPI communication. Depending on what you are talking to, you might need PPI.

There are some that do both.

Or ProfiBus

And I suppose TTY/RS232/485 depending on how far back you want to go.

Are there any Siemens PLCs (past decade)that support Profibus that do not also support MPI or PPI or connection with an Ethernet cable?

And I suppose TTY/RS232/485 depending on how far back you want to go.

Are there any Siemens PLCs (past decade)that support Profibus that do not also support MPI or PPI or connection with an Ethernet cable?

Good point... but I did run into a 315 last week that had an HMI on the MPI so the only open connection was Profi

Good point... but I did run into a 315 last week that had an HMI on the MPI so the only open connection was Profi

Why couldn't you connect? Did they not use a piggyback connector? I've ran into that a few times myself. Too bad the above adapter doesn't come with a passthrough on the DB9 so that you can at least pull the HMI off, plug your adapter in, and the plug the HMI on top of it.

I have used the CP5512 which does both (MPI, Profi).
With new PC's the PCMCIA slot vanished.Only Express which does me no good.!!!
I've heard a couple of people got the CP5512 working with certain brand Express cards.
I am using VMWare as well so there's no support for PCMCIA period!

I got a Helmolz NetLink Pro adapter.
Works on pretty much everything that you need to hook up to (Siemens hardware that is).
For the price, can't beat it.
Around $600.00 USD.
I think I spent almost $1200.00 for the CP card.
The USB adapter that Siemens offers is bulky and cumbersome.
That's just me though!

I got a Helmolz NetLink Pro adapter.
Works on pretty much everything that you need to hook up to (Siemens hardware that is).
For the price, can't beat it.
Around $600.00 USD.

Heck, I spent more than that just on the above adapter. Wish I had known about this one. I just replaced the one shown above about a year ago because the first one I purchased went to sleep and never woke up one day.