Testing A PLC's Card

PEFL

I'm new to PLCs. I took some Allen-Bradley classes and did fine as far as getting things to work. Now I am at work and my job has installed a new card on an existing chassis. We hooked up a meter that gives a 20ma input signal. I opened the existing program and tried to add a rung just to see if I can connect to the signal, but every time I verified the wrong I get an error. Such as I can't use and input I have to use a binary. I use a binary and it is not in the database. I tried to use a counter for the signal but once again I get a error that it is not in the database. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
PEFL

It's Allen-Bradley 8 input analog card. We hooked the signal up to 0 on slot 7.

I tried I:7/0 and also tried B7.0...

When I used I:7:0 and verified the rung it said I had to use Binary. So I tried B7.0 and it said not in database.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

PEFL, welcome to the forum.

As Gil47 requested you are going to have to provide the forum with the
complete catalog number of your PLC. Also the complete catalog number of your analog card.

Also tell us the error you are getting, what it says. And what rung is giving you this error.

It would also help if you can post the program,it's .RSS file . Zip it first then post.

Last edited:
I assume it's an SLC-500 controller, then.

The addressing format for the Input data file is I:Slot.Word/Bit.

Remember that the CPU is in Slot 0, so the I/O modules start numbering at Slot 1.

Addressing the entire Word or a single Bit depends on what you're trying to do. For analog cards, you will generally be addressing an entirely Word (16 bits), rather than choosing an individual Bit like you would on a discrete I/O card.

You don't really need any logic to view the input data; just open up the data table viewer and look at the Input data file.