S7300 Analog Modules ??

mosama

Hi all,

When configuring S7300 analog module with 4-20 mA range, there is an option called Measuring Type, and I should choose 2DMU or 4DMU. I understood that this means 2 wire or 4 wire transmitter.

If I'm using a 2 wire transmitter, then I don't have to provide power for the transmitter if I choose 2DMU ??

And what is the difference between 2DMU and 4DMU ??

Thank you

A 2-wire transducer doesn't have its own power.
A 4-wire transducer has its own power.

Instead of changing the analog inputs for 2-wire or 4-wire transducers, I always position the measuring mode in pos. C and change the wiring to the analog inputs in the case I have a 2-wire or 4-wire sensor. Of course you don't have to do it this way.

Thanks nonku
So if I configured a module as 2DMU, do I need to provide power for the transmitter, or the AI module will be responsible for this ??

Thanks nonku
So if I configured a module as 2DMU, do I need to provide power for the transmitter, or the AI module will be responsible for this ??
In this case, the AI module supplies the power to the transmitter. The + of the transmitter goes to M0+ and the - of the transmitter goes to the M0- of the AI module. The problem comes if you want to connect an active (4-wires) transmitter to the second input of the AI module.
In this case you can't supply the power to the transmitter, but the AI channels are programmed in groups of 2. So you have to connect the + from this transmitter to M1- of the AI channel and the - of the transmitter to the - of the power supply and the M1+ stays open.
This is the reason why I always configure the AI modules as passive (C) and power the transmitters not from the AI module, but from the power supply.

Last edited:
Thanks nonuke

But why I can't connect an active (4-wires) transmitter to the second input of the AI module. If I have configured this input as 4DMU, then what is the problem??
Also what do you mean by configure AI modules as passive (C)??

I think you should spend some time reading the manual.
Pos A,B,C and D are jumpers you must select on the side of the module.

You can also read this Manual (first one)
https://support.automation.siemens....tion=cssearch&searchinprim=0&nodeid0=10805166

I always do the wiring as in Fig. 2-5 for passive Transmitters, and as in Fig. 2-4 for active Transmitters.
The position of the AI channel is ALWAYS -C-.
Another reason for doing it like this is that if you work with S7-200, S7-1200 or other brands like Omron etc. the analog input cards are Always passive.