Heidenhain Linear Encoder with CompactLogix

cstech

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have the choice between a TTL pulse train and 1 Vpp versions - which would be easier to integrate with the AB 1769? I know there is a 5V TTL input card...

Thanks!
Chip

Any input here?

I have done some additional research, and found that AB makes a 1769-IG16 module that takes a TTL input. Is this the preferred way to integrate a linear encoder like the Heidenhain? I have very limited experience integrating encoders with PLCs, so this is new territory for me.

Heidenhain also makes the 1Vpp output version, but I am not sure what type of input module to use with that.

Thanks for the help!
Chip

TTL.
The AC version (1Vpp) is a "raw" signal, only for those (OEM's) that want to design their own conditioning electronics.
Use a high speed input specified for encoders.

You don't want to use a TTL input module as the scan will not be fast enough to pick up the encoder transitions. You want to use a 1769-VHSC and a TTL output encoder.

Keith

Thanks to both of you - that is exactly what I was looking for!

I already have a 1769-HSC card in the system for getting RPM from a spindle sensor, so it's good to know I can use that for both things. Anything I should be on the lookout for with wiring the TTL encoder output to the 1769-HSC?

Thanks again!
Chip

Not that I can hink of. The inputs are differential so make sure you have either a differential output or you bring a common from the encoder over.

Keith

Okay, I have successfully integrated the TTL signal encoder into the 1769-HSC, and am getting counts in the register. That's the good part.

How can I use one of the other counters for a proximity sensor (spindle RPM)? All of the HSC card setups I have tried yielded card faults.

If it helps, the current setup I am using is 1 counter in Encoder X1 mode. The AB manual doesn't specify how to "mix & match" encoder and discrete inputs.

Ideas?