Writing over consumed tags

JoshM

Hi,

Say I produce in PLC-A data A and consume data A in PLC-B and PLC-C. PLC-B and PLC-C can write to the consumed tag, but if they do, does PLC-A see it?

Overall my question is, are produced/consumed tags one directional?

Thank you,

Josh

No. The produced tag will overwrite it. Producer/Consumer is unidirectional. Producer --> Consumer. If you want data to go back to the "Producer" PLC, you will need to setup another Produce/Consumer connection, this time with the "Producer" PLC being the consumer.

JoshM,

Hold on a second! If i understand your question correctly, PLC A writes data to PLC B & C. You also want PLC B&C to write data to the same addresses. if this is true, then you should be aware thet PLC A can write the data to PLC B & C at any time, even in the beginning, 1/3 way, middle, 3/4 into the program or at the end of the scan. the data from PLC B&C could be over written and be lost.

I strongly advise against having PLC B & C write data into registers that PLC A uses. You cannot predict what data you are using.

Not trying to slam you, i had this happen several years ago and they didn't realize for several weeks what was happening.

regards,
james

Why don´t you create another tag and move data from consumed tag whenever you desired or get data from another source. Normally produced-consumed scheme is left the way it is i.e. updated from produced to consumed tag.

You guys are correct. I do not plan on doing this, but was curious how scan time and produced/consumed timing play out. So produced/consumed tags are independent of the PLC scan time throughout the code?