Linx and naming network devices...Help

JoseM

On RSLinx, the name that the software assign to devices that its able to finds when scanning the network, Can I customize those names to something that it will be more descriptive of the type of machine which the device is part off.

I haven't found a way to. I think it was asked before on the forums and the answer was a "No".

I have a machine that has a CompactLogix and 9 ML1100s and 1ML 1400. I wanted to have RSlinx list them as their processor name, but couldn't (it only showed their IP Address).

On RSLinx, the name that the software assign to devices that its able to finds when scanning the network, Can I customize those names to something that it will be more descriptive of the type of machine which the device is part off.

Yes. You have to create a "hosts" file. I can't recall the exact details, but if you search "host file" or "hosts file" you should find something.

There are a couple tricks that might help a bit, but they are primarily for the Logix 5000 family. Easier (IMO) than dealing with hosts files

#1 Add Names to EtherNet/IP modules
============================
In RSLinx, use the Ethernet Devices driver (cannot use EtherNet/IP driver) and manually type in the IP address for the Ethernet module. At the end of the address and a space and type in a name. For example:

192.168.1.12 Conveyor A Chassis

Repeat for each device. This used to be available in RSLinx and then RA made a change that prevented this capability. It is back now in the later releases of RSLinx.

#2 Use RSLinx Shortcuts
==================
RSLinx allows you to create shortcuts to networks or to a backplane. Browse to a Logix 5000 backplane and right-click on the backplane to select Create Shortcut. Type in a name and that name is essentially a "driver" now in the RSLinx RS Who and all Who Active windows.

Imagine that you are browsing from your PC over the Ethernet to a specific CLX chassis and you need to go through that chassis to the DH+ module and then browse out Channel A of the DH+ module to view the PLC-5 controllers on that network. That is cumbersome and trying to explain it to a user can be overwhelming. Instead I can right-click on that Remote DH+ Channel A and create a shortcut that I call "Package_DHPlus". In the Who Active that will appear as a "driver" that I can browse without having to remember the whole path it took to get there.

OG