O.t. V8 350

KalleOlsen

It is so o.t. that I might get gilliotined.
Here we go:
One of my stupid youngsters has run his Dodge 350 with too little oil, and the motor has stuck. I must help him in his tries to get the wreck loose again, but I should like to know the rotation direction of the motor before we start. There are plenty US guys in this forum, maybe one of you with a 350 Dodge Van (apx 88 year model) could be nice and check which way the motor runs, seen from the front side.

Kalle

Been a while since I've owned a car with a V8, but every one I've ever had has turned clockwise.

🍻

-Eric

So has mine. Even my first, a beetle with the motor at the back, behind the gearbox/diff.

I will use a big wrench/arm together with the starter motor and an extra starter battery (spark plugs out), so the direction must be synchronized.

...or I might pour some rust killer into the car so it converts from van to vanish.

Kalle

Can you please please post a video of you doing this!!!??? (Not that I think it will work, your cylinder bores will be ruined plus the crankshaft journals caps are likely in pieces, not to mention the top end...)

But,

I can see a moment when the engine breaks free with the starter motor engaged that that big wrench you are using will rotate through the engine bay cleaning up every hose and piece of wire that comes in its way, then it will gauge your nice pretty driveway but that'll be after its ripped your elbow out of its socket, disintegrated your forearm and smashed your wrist!

This will be good! lol (y):unsure::ROFLMAO:

Your son will need to learn the hard way...

Can you please please post a video of you doing this!!!??? (Not that I think it will work, your cylinder bores will be ruined plus the crankshaft journals caps are likely in pieces, not to mention the top end...)

But,

I can see a moment when the engine breaks free with the starter motor engaged that that big wrench you are using will rotate through the engine bay cleaning up every hose and piece of wire that comes in its way, then it will gauge your nice pretty driveway but that'll be after its ripped your elbow out of its socket, disintegrated your forearm and smashed your wrist!

This will be good! lol (y):unsure::ROFLMAO:

Your son will need to learn the hard way...[/QUOTE

I grew up and live on a farm, so I have done a lot of worse things. Some fingers lost already. :)

It is so o.t. that I might get gilliotined.
Here we go:
One of my stupid youngsters has run his Dodge 350 with too little oil, and the motor has stuck. I must help him in his tries to get the wreck loose again, but I should like to know the rotation direction of the motor before we start. There are plenty US guys in this forum, maybe one of you with a 350 Dodge Van (apx 88 year model) could be nice and check which way the motor runs, seen from the front side. Kalle

Kalle
I would not use the starter and a large wrench together to break the engine loose. As mentioned if it does break free what are you going to do about the wrench and getting away from it when it goes flying or jams your hand on the fender well. You will quite likely burn out the starter.

Even if you do get it running you are running on damaged bearings and or rings. You will only tear them up worse running and end up with unsalvagable or high machining costs.

I would give some serious thought about doing what you are more than likely going to do anyway - teardown and rebuid. Right now you may be able to salvage the engine with little machine work.

Use large wrench to turn engine back and forth. Keep doing this until you get one complete rotation.

Re guillotine. I do not think you need to worry about that - we do not have the design done much less operating automated guillotine.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Kalle
I would not use the starter and a large wrench together to break the engine loose. As mentioned if it does break free what are you going to do about the wrench and getting away from it when it goes flying or jams your hand on the fender well. You will quite likely burn out the starter.

Even if you do get it running you are running on damaged bearings and or rings. You will only tear them up worse running and end up with unsalvagable or high machining costs.

I would give some serious thought about doing what you are more than likely going to do anyway - teardown and rebuid. Right now you may be able to salvage the engine with little machine work.

Use large wrench to turn engine back and forth. Keep doing this until you get one complete rotation.

Re guillotine. I do not think you need to worry about that - we do not have the design done much less operating automated guillotine.

Dan Bentler

Thanks for your concerns!
The spark plugs are removed, the cylinders filled with a mix of diesel + 2 stroke oil, and it has been maturing for some days. I've tried with the wrench twice a day. I cannot see the danger using the starter just to try to bang it loose (except flywheel tooths/bendix injuries). I'll use my manual pulse timer, 1,5 second starting, 15 seconds off
icon12.gif
. I'll make some remedies on the wrench to avoid loss of limbs and fingers. The car has been a party van for the boy and his pack, so I want it out of my garage (and on the scrapyard) asap.

To all, I'll like to stop this thread. I don't want to fill the forum with car talk. But I will report (from the hospital ?
icon10.gif
)how it went afterwards.

Kalle

Edit: But if you can recommend an OK car forum, it would be great.

Last edited:
3 easy steps to repairing a seized engine...

Step 1: Remove oil filler cap
Step 2A: Remove old engine
Step 2B: Install new engine
Step 3: Replace oil filler cap

🍻

-Eric

No one has mentioned dynamite yet. I've got some 20 sticks somewhere in the barn. What about filling it into the cylinders that have pistons just passed the uppder turning point? Wrench, dual batteries, starter and dynamite... Wow, I think it is a brilliant idea, I'm going to copyright it.

Kalle

Edit:
Anyone's got the phone number to Hannibal Heyes or Kid Curry?

Last edited:
Well the racing guys use "nitro" so why waste time with dynamite? Make up some nitroglycerin - very simple chemistry. Much easier to pour into spark plug holes.

CAVEAT for those not familiar with explosives - do NOT take this seriously.
Nitro is easy to make
fairly easy to handle

All you gotta do is
KNOW HOW TO KEEP IT STABLE

Dan Bentler

. . .maybe one of you with a 350 Dodge Van (apx 88 year model)
Kalle, this being Norway, does this 350 Dodge Van have a manual transmission? If so, I have unstuck some old engines (stuck from setting a long time, or from losing engine coolant and overheating) by removing the clutch cover and using a crowbar to pry against one of the cogs and turn the large flywheel. This gives a tremendous amount of leverage, much more than trying to turn the front crankshaft with a wrench.

Some manual truck transmission (Dodge vans have truck chasis) have toothed gears that can also be accessed by removing the top gear-shifter cover. Then you can engage the low gear and turn the low gear with a prybar. You only have to turn it a few cog teeth to unstick the engine. After that, either it is free and you can probably turn it with the starter, or it will not ever again.

Last edited:
I've never tried this with a 4-stroke gasoline engine, but it worked for me on a 2-stroke outboard motor and a diesel engine. It's elaborate and could take more time to set up than to tear apart the engine, but it does work and looks really cool.

1. Find enough old spark plugs for every cylinder (you'll need eight)
2. Break the porcelain off the ends, remove the center electrode and braze or weld 3/8" steel lines to each threaded spark-plug base (make them about 6" long)
3. Here's the fun part. Find enough solenoid valves so that you have one for each cylinder. Wire each solenoid valve to a separate output on a PLC and write code to provide power to only one coil at a time. Set it up so you can easily vary the length of time the coil is energized and how much time expires before the next coil energizes. Solenoid valve smust have a bleed-off feature.
4. Connect each solenoid valve outlet to one of the steel lines. They MUST be connected in the same firing order as the engine.
5. Connect the solenoid valve inlets to a common compressed air source.
6. Run the program.

Depending on what point the engine seized, you'll get air moving out of the inlet or outlet valves on some cylinders, but ther should be at least one that's close to TDC with both valves closed.

The "impact" action should, eventually, free up the engine.