Bailey flowmeter calibration

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Okay, so it isn't a PLC question, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone here can help me out.

We have some Bailey PTSDDAA2212 flowmeters connected to an averaging pitot flowmeter that needs to be recalibrated.

Unfortunately, we don't have the calibration procedure or documentation. I can't find anything on Bailey flowmeters except that they were bought out by ABB years ago.

Does anyone here have any documentation on calibrating Bailey flowmeters (and if it is a HART device, the DD file as well)?

Thanks!

Any other numbers on this device? Maybe a picture of it's name plate or device itself.
Someone may recognize it.

A spec sheet is here:
http://www.prega.pl/download/Pliki_do_pobrania/PTS_PTH_en.pdf
If you poke around you might find a manual, but I'm not sure how much good it'll do you.

The model number decodes it as using Bailey FSK protocol, not HART. Bailey FSK uses its own handheld communicator, it is called a 'smart terminal'. So you need a communicator to talk to it.

The transmitter is a draft range differential pressure transmitter, very low range, 0-4"w.c. or 0-6" w.c.

One approach is to apply zero and span pressures and see how close the 4-20mA output is to the applied pressure.

Suppose the span is off. Suppose 4.000" w.c. and it should show 20.00 mA, but it shows 4.112" w.c. instead.
That calculates out to where 4.000"w.c. is 3.891mA
4.000/4.112 = 0.97276
97.276% of 4.112mA = 3.891mA = 4.000"w.c.
If need be, jigger the receiver's analog input so that 20mA = 4.112"w.c. or 3.891mA = 4.000"w.c. whichever is easier.

Or maybe you can find a cal service that has a handheld.

A spec sheet is here:
http://www.prega.pl/download/Pliki_do_pobrania/PTS_PTH_en.pdf
If you poke around you might find a manual, but I'm not sure how much good it'll do you.

Thanks! This got me going in the right direction (i.e. asking the right questions).

It turns out that we have guys relocated to different buildings that used to do the calibrations and we have the STT04 programmer as well (somewhere...)

And the tip on how to calibrate it helps as well. I was going to go about it the hard way.

Very much appreciated! Thanks!