Valve control question using Bailey and Wonderware

supertrucker

I operate a distillation column for Argon gas. It has a pressure controlling valve that cools a condenser at the top of the column with nitrogen gas. This valve controls the pressure on the column. The valve swings open and closed too fast and too far in my opinion and it is causing bad readings on the argon gas in the column because the increase in pressure and cooling makes the nitrogen remain in the column instead of venting. I am a complete noob. I know there adjustments that can be made, but what would be the typical change to fix a problem like this?

Last edited:
I hear ya. Unfortunately most things we are left to figure out ourselves. Its pretty sad.

I would hire an outside integrator. In my area it's a $ 105/hr. They come in and do specialized work for us. It's a great deal in my opinion. They only come in a few times a year. What you describe is a couple hours of getting familiar with the process then about an hour to tune the PID loop.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot stick unless I was 95% sure I knew was doing. Your process sounds pretty unforgiving.

What type of valve is it? What type of actuator?

Last edited: