Topworx Control Valve / Allen Bradley HART

jakeparsons03

Working on a site where they are using a DeltaV DCS system. They are using Topworx DVC6200 controllers on their modulating valves. These control both the I/P signal and positioner feedback. They are sending out the signal from their DeltaV system to control the position of the valve and using HART to receive the feedback signal instead of tieing into a second charm.

My question is, for allen bradley systems (5094-OF8IH) can I do the same thing? I don't see any reason why not. I figure that I just use a trex or something to put the feedback signal on the PV input and receive it back that way. Does anyone see anything wrong with that?

My goal of this is to possibly use this standard to do only 2-wire control of modulating valves instead of 4-wire, saving quite a bit of money in installation costs.

Rosemount seems to use the term "travel" instead of "position". "Travel" is one of the variables on the list of variables on page 14 of the manual.

https://www.emerson.com/documents/a...00-hw2-digital-valve-controller-en-123052.pdf

The 6200 manual shows the HART variables as being assignable (pg 91) in either of two categories: "with I/O" or "without I/O". One would hope that the local presence of a physical 4-20mA position retransmitter is not needed in order to read the travel position via HART, but I haven't used the 6200.

On the other end, presumably a HART enabled AO card can be configured to read a HART variable.

Sounds like it should work.