HMI/ SCADA for AB Micro830

ivanlch

Hi guys,

I am a doing my final year thesis on programming AB Micro830 for basic water rig process. My lecturer would like me to create a HMI / SCADA for it on a computer so that future students can view the flow rate of the water / water level / change the setpoints. I am wondering if anyone can give me a guideline on what software should I use to implement it? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum !

The Micro 830 series uses Modbus RTU protocol, which is probably the most popular serial protocol for automation ever. So your options for SCADA/HMI are very wide open.

Do you have a background in a particular programming language (Python, Visual Basic, C++, etc) ? Does this HMI need to be PC-based ?

Do you prefer an Australian commercial product ? Or a Rockwell Automation product (to match the Micro 830 controller), or an open-source product ?

My first choice, personally, would be Inductive Automation's Ignition software, since it's been so very easy to use and has a free "Panel Edition" license. The main gotcha there is that it uses only Modbus/TCP protocol (Modbus over Ethernet) so you'll need some kind of Modbus/TCP to Modbus RTU serial converter.

There are quite a few open-source or free options, like IntegraXor, Mango M2M, PVBrowser, and mblogic.

Welcome to the Forum !

The Micro 830 series uses Modbus RTU protocol, which is probably the most popular serial protocol for automation ever. So your options for SCADA/HMI are very wide open.

Do you have a background in a particular programming language (Python, Visual Basic, C++, etc) ? Does this HMI need to be PC-based ?

Do you prefer an Australian commercial product ? Or a Rockwell Automation product (to match the Micro 830 controller), or an open-source product ?

My first choice, personally, would be Inductive Automation's Ignition software, since it's been so very easy to use and has a free "Panel Edition" license. The main gotcha there is that it uses only Modbus/TCP protocol (Modbus over Ethernet) so you'll need some kind of Modbus/TCP to Modbus RTU serial converter.

There are quite a few open-source or free options, like IntegraXor, Mango M2M, PVBrowser, and mblogic.

Hi, thanks for your reply. My lecturer want the HMI to be PC based, no external hardware such as panel view and so on. How do I interface the micro830 with inductive automation's ignition software that you are talking about? Do I just use a modem or something to connect it via ethernet? Sorry, I have no knowledge of serial interfacing at all (currently trying to learn). The only programming languages that I know are C, Assembly, Matlab, Ladder Logic and thats all.

The Micro 830 series uses Modbus RTU Protocol

Inductive Automation's Ignition software uses only Modbus/TCP protocol (Modbus over Ethernet) so you'll need some kind of Modbus/TCP to Modbus RTU serial converter.

Ken gave you some nice options on here. Ignition would need a converter to go into the PC through the ethernet port.

Or, other software would probably allow you to directly go from the AB Micro830 into the serial port of the computer. You would just need the pin-out to make sure it connects properly.

Not to diss Ignition, but since your instructor wants no external hardware, the latter option seems like the way to go.

Last edited:
Ken gave you some nice options on here. Ignition would need a converter to go into the PC through the ethernet port.

Or, other software would probably allow you to directly go from the AB Micro830 into the serial port of the computer. You would just need the pin-out to make sure it connects properly.

Not to diss Ignition, but since your instructor wants no external hardware, the latter option seems like the way to go.

Hi someone offered me the following option...

PeakHMI Demo

Has anyone ever used it before? I will have a go at what Ken suggested as well though. Cheers. =)

Are you guys familiar with AB Micro830? Do you know where can I find sample codes for it?

How do we implement PID control on Ladder diagrams? I am new to all this as I just learnt ladder logic a few months ago. Still exploring how to program lots of stuffs. Thanks for the help.

Soo, anyone else would like to give me some suggestions/ help? A sample program for micro830 / pid sample ladder logic would be great thanks =)

Hi,

>Has anyone ever used it before?

I have. ;)

I have two sample projects for PeakHMI using the Micro830 I can give you. They require the full version. The examples are in ladders and function blocks.

Try the demo and contact support if you need any help.

Hi,

>Has anyone ever used it before?

I have. ;)

I have two sample projects for PeakHMI using the Micro830 I can give you. They require the full version. The examples are in ladders and function blocks.

Try the demo and contact support if you need any help.

Hi, can you kindly email it to me? Is there any free HMI software other than PeakHMI. I have already pm you my email thanks. =)

Hi,

PeakHMI is not free software and we are not in the habit of giving away our products.

We have an educational discount. Contact sales.

I will get back to you with my progress. Time to catch up with my other units other than thesis now. Does programming / making HMI require any special programming language skills? I am new to this and have no time to research this can you just give me a brief run through on what is required. I really appreciate it. =)