SMTP Email Service for HMI & SCADA

sbaum

We currently use GMail accounts for sending email alarms from quite a few HMI projects. Specifically C-More HMIs and AVEVA Edge runtimes.

To accomplish this, one needs to enable 'Less Secure Apps' in the Google settings to allow sign-in from an HMI.

Google will no longer support this 'less secure sign-in technology' on May 30, 2022.
Does anyone have recommendations on alternatives to Gmail?

look up hMailSever. It can reside in your internal network, take a nonsecure message from a HMI, and then relay it was via SSL SMTP. Work to send from WW2012 through gmail with secure apps on.

The guys over at the Automation Direct forum already addressed how to get around this with the Cmore.
Here's the link.

https://community.automationdirect.com/s/feed/0D53u00005HYIkqCAH

I'm not sure what you can do with Aveva.

Thanks so much. That's my answer and should solve the problem. I had searched on the AD Forum but I don't frequent there and overlooked that discussion.
I'm thinking this will work for my AVEVA clients as well.

Yahoo has the 'application specific password' as well and I've had that working well. Just was feeling the pain of re-configuring all the sites with Gmail accounts.

look up hMailSever. It can reside in your internal network, take a nonsecure message from a HMI, and then relay it was via SSL SMTP. Work to send from WW2012 through gmail with secure apps on.
And this may be a great plan for the AVEVA Edge clients. I'm going test this out.

Yahoo has the 'application specific password' as well and I've had that working well. Just was feeling the pain of re-configuring all the sites with Gmail accounts.

I read that Google also has "application specific password".

In my company we also send emails through the gmail smtp server from android devices.

I have made small changes in the app code and after some satisfactory tests, we will soon send the emails through microsoft servers with some of our azure accounts.

But always with TLS 1.2 encryption. Previous versions are rejected by more and more smtp servers for being considered insecure.

I read that Google also has "application specific password".
Yes, that is detailed in the Technote from Automation Direct that boardmaker pointed me to.
Essentially you need to turn on 2-Factor Authentication for the account then it allows you to setup the application specific passwords.
I just had a few minutes to try this out on a Cmore HMI and it works well.

Thanks so much. That's my answer and should solve the problem. I had searched on the AD Forum but I don't frequent there and overlooked that discussion.
I'm thinking this will work for my AVEVA clients as well.

Yeah, I'm not fond of the search function over there.
I really miss their old forum. It was the standard "forum style" for a long time. Now they've went to the newer style and it just ins't for me.
Hope PLC.net doesn't change.

Glad I could help. But those guys did all the work(y)