Senior Design Project Ideas

UTRockets1208

Hey everyone, I am a senior in an Electrical Engineering program. We are looking for a good project to do using PLC's. I have worked with both Allen Bradley and GE, as well as messed around with the older TI. Any suggestions on a good project to do involving PLC's?

How about an automated high voltage base load power station. That kept me busy on and off for 2 years. 8 generator PLCs, master PLC to control load shedding, capacity control, load control, Citect SCADA over the top monitoring and trending. Citect also used to adjust timers, select engine duty order, spinning reserve, start an extra generator when a large load is to come on - time based. All control in the PLCs though of course - computers are too unreliable.
Includes fuel control, fuel polishing, fuel heating (medium crude oil fuel).
SMS messaging of critical alarms, outside control of the station PC with Norton PC Anywhere, control of all fans, pumps, dampers - could go on for a long time - great project.
Plenty more that I have not mentioned as well.