Siemens MP277-10

franchois13

Hi Guys,
Just wanna ask if it is possible to print to file off the siemens panel MP277-10.
I would appreciate any info or any link describing the procedure for setting it up if it is doable. Thanks in advance.

Dont know if it will be possible to print to a file. Maybe you have to look for printers in the windows control panel and see if there are settings to tweak there.

Depending on what you have to achieve, there may be other ways to do it than printing to file.
To log values cyclically to file, use the archiving system. Costs a license.
To log alarms to file, use the archiving system. Costs a license.
To write other kinds of information to file, write a VBS script. It is easy to write values and texts line-for-line to a .txt or .csv file.

Dont know if it will be possible to print to a file. Maybe you have to look for printers in the windows control panel and see if there are settings to tweak there.

Depending on what you have to achieve, there may be other ways to do it than printing to file.
To log values cyclically to file, use the archiving system. Costs a license.
To write other kinds of information to file, write a VBS script. It is easy to write values and texts line-for-line to a .txt or .csv file.

We are printing process data on a daily basis and production are complaining for too much paper consumption and that is why we are looking for alternative way to do it like printing it to file. Tried accessing control panel but cant see any option to do what we want. What do we need for the archiving option that you mentioned? Is that something we can install ourselves?

Are you printing reports ? If so that isnt easily to simply switch to printing to file.

You may have to create a VBS script that does the whole thing. Writing to a text file means it will be pure text. Not neatly formatted as in the report system. But that may be irrelevant anyway.

Do you print once a day ?
Or the whole time every day ?
If it is the latter, cyclical archiving may be the way to go. You have to setup an archive in the WinCC Flexible project, and you have to purchase a license that must be installed on the panel.

Do you print once a day ?
Or the whole time every day ?
If it is the latter, cyclical archiving may be the way to go. You have to setup an archive in the WinCC Flexible project, and you have to purchase a license that must be installed on the panel.

Hi Jesper, we are printing reports with graphs. That takes place several times in a day every end of process run. Is the archiving costly?

You cannot print the graphs to file easily.
But the archived values are maybe more relevant than a graph. To create graphs, you would have to analyse the archived data in Excel for example.
An archiving license on a panel costs approx 300 Euro.

Jesper

FYI,
With an MP277 10" touch I have logged files to a CSV file, on a windows server, without buying additional licenses.

Typically log to an SD card in the HMI thru the day, then at the end of the day archive it to a server where I have a shared folder.

If I understood correctly. :)

Yes, you can almost do everything with VBS.
Log files via VBS even have the advantage that you can format the logged data to your own requirements. One obvious thing to do is to format the logged data in columns in stead of one long serial list of values.

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the infos, sounds a bit complicated to get done as I am not familiar with programming. Maybe needed an external support.

Would like to ask a bit more on the same unit about copying runtime file on eactly same unit just to prepare a backup screen. Have heard about prosave and just wanna ask for some clear instruction on how to do it. We dont have wincc neither the project file. Thanks...

You should be able to insert a SD card or USB stick, then goto the control panel and use the "Backup / Restore" option, to backup your runtime. Just need to remember to do this anytime you make a change to the HMI program.

When you put the SD card or USB stick in the new MP, use the restore option to bring it back.

When you are done restoring verify in the control panel that all of your comm settings / network settings are all correct.

You should be able to insert a SD card or USB stick, then goto the control panel and use the "Backup / Restore" option, to backup your runtime. Just need to remember to do this anytime you make a change to the HMI program.

When you put the SD card or USB stick in the new MP, use the restore option to bring it back.

When you are done restoring verify in the control panel that all of your comm settings / network settings are all correct.

Hi Joltron, thanks a lot, will give it a go, i will let you know what I'll come up with. Cheers

Has anyone tried adding a pdf printer driver to the MP? If it works, maybe that would let them make the "printouts" without wasting paper. You wouldn't have a log of the raw data, but they don't have that now.

Hi Joltron, thanks for the advice, that went well... very straight forward, easy when you know it. Cheers