Uploading from Siemens MP277 to edit in WinCC

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need some clarification about uploading the HMI file from a Siemens MP277 to edit it in WinCC. Although the machine manufacturer is no longer in business, I've been in communication with someone associated with the original installation. He said that the company policy was to check the transfer back option so that field service could make edits to the HMI. I searched on this board, and the answer that I found is that two conditions must be met.

1. 'Transfer Back' must be selected.
2. A memory card must be used.

First thing I noticed is that there is no memory card inserted in the slot on the back of the HMI. I asked my contact about that, and he said the HMI has an internal memory location and doesn't need a card in the slot. That could be... but I've not tried to upload yet because the machine is in heavy use. Does that possibility exist? I'll need to wait until the machine is idle to try to upload the program.

The other thing he mentioned is that the right version of WinCC needed to be used. Is there a way to determine which version was used from the installation? This is my first time trying this, and I'm feeling a little green. Any tips? If it matters, my customer has a Siemens field service laptop with Simatic Mgr version 5.6 (on Windows 7), and WinCC Flexible Version 2008, SP5. My own laptop has a VM with Simatic Mgr v5.5 (Windows XP) and WinCC Flexible 2007 version.