FactoryTalk View ME Analog Display

davekuch

Hi All - First time poster, so hopefully this hasn't been discussed before. I didn't find much in the search.

I'm working on a system with a number of temp and pressure displays. I would like a graphical way to show the values indicating whether they are in the good state, near a warning level, or at the faulted point. Does anybody have any suggestions for tools within FT ME?

My first thought was a vertical "pointer" next to a bar with the ranges indicated by colors. I can't get the vertical position animation to work though. If anybody has done something different, I am open to suggestions too.

Thanks All!
Dave

Do you want to see just a value on it's own with maybe different colors, or do you want to see the value depicted in a range, like a bar graph or gauge?

OG

Do you want to see just a value on it's own with maybe different colors, or do you want to see the value depicted in a range, like a bar graph or gauge?

OG

I was hoping for something more visual than just a number... The bar graph and gauge controls didn't really show the ranges as well as I hoped...but I'll try working with them more.

Anybody else in the world have analog values that they graphically display?

Last edited:
You have a long list of things you can do...

But really, you can build your own. As for the up/down display showing the temp you can just use the animation and fill technique (easiest and looks the best). Then you can also use the colors in that same animation to control what kind of temp zone you are in.

Really you might want to setup some plc or something you can connect too and see what it looks like in real time and give you a better sense of control.

So, go into FTSE and HELP -> online books -> user guide -> Chap/Sec 17 'Animating graphic objects'
OR
So, go into FTME and HELP -> online books -> user guide -> Chap/Sec 22 'Animating graphic objects'

Hi All - First time poster, so hopefully this hasn't been discussed before. I didn't find much in the search.

I'm working on a system with a number of temp and pressure displays. I would like a graphical way to show the values indicating whether they are in the good state, near a warning level, or at the faulted point. Does anybody have any suggestions for tools within FT ME?

My first thought was a vertical "pointer" next to a bar with the ranges indicated by colors. I can't get the vertical position animation to work though. If anybody has done something different, I am open to suggestions too.

Thanks All!
Dave

Easiest way would be to use a Multistate Indicator to display your analog value.

For example, you could have a basic one with 2 states. State 0 is healthy, state 1 is faulted.

Under expressions, you tell the indicator which state to show depending on the analog value of the tag.

"if {Analog_Tag} < 100 then 0
else if {Analog_Tag} >= 100 then 1
else 1"

Now for State 0 under captions insert your Analog_Tag as a Numeric Variable, and set the background to be grey or green for normal or healthy.

Do the same for State 1 except you can have a yellow or red background to show that it is at a warning or fault level.

You can add extra states and expressions as required.

Brendan,

I tend to stay away from having code in the graphics personally.

I think that if/else statements are on the screens then later updates or (new machines) you have to go through the code then the screen to see why a state is doing what.

I feel that having your code setup with ranges in mind then you can just control everything with the code. Also, live updates to the code is WAY easier then going in and changing screens anytime a customer wants a slight modification to the screen (slight being a term that usually isn't accurate).

Out of curiosity is the coding and graphics developed by two different people or the same person in your case?

I said it was the easiest way. Not the best way :)

The OP asked for tools to do this in FT ME, and didn't mention anything about the PLC, which is why I offered my suggestion.

I agree with you regarding your statement.

All analog signals in my code I process through a standard routine that has alarm setpoints for HiHi, Hi, Lo, and LoLo conditions, and would generally use these alarm bits to toggle an alarm state for the indicator on my HMI if required.