RSVIEW 32 Works/ Logix 5000

Densam

Hi people thanks in advance for your replies. I have a process which takes 3 hours for the product to get from start to finish. If there is a breakdown in the middle of the process enginners attend and the product before goes bad until the line is back on, the stagnant product has to be dumped when the line comes back. Its not about breakdowns i am after, but planned stoppages.After inspecting a piece of equipmet is about to break and we need to stop. Stop the infeed run the product just after the faulty equipment.Press a button on rsview to stop that particular equipment and isolate but not stop the process from then back. Production will start the line this gives the engineers to work assuming they will finish before the product gets to them. Restart and production. How quick can i use logix 5000 and rsview 32 to achive this?

How quick can i use logix 5000 and rsview 32 to achive this?
Hmmm...that is a tough question. More info is needed.

How fast are you at figuring out program logic?
How well are the Logix 5000 and the RSView program documented?
How much testing will you be able to do?
How fast can you type?
How long are the programs?
Do you have several bottles of aspirin available?

My SWAG estimate is about 5 days!

There is a lot of code involed hence finding ideas. I was going through some of the stuff today. I have a maintenance page in RSVIEW where i can run stuff on hand. I want to add a lutch button to this. What happen the is if pressed will latch the machine down stream to still remain in auto run while i can isolate and work. The latch will be automatically unlatched when the system is back on. This i assume will be seemless.

...if pressed, will latch the machine down stream to still remain in auto run while I can isolate and work.
What do you mean by "isloate"? Do you mean switch the PLC to Program Mode, or simply make changes in the RSView program while still online and still running the process? It is difficult to lock out part of a program while you work on the rest. In RSView32 Works, you can do online edits, but it is a dangerous task except for very minor changes. It is possible to get some mnotors running with no way to stop them. Make sure that you have a big STOP button that still works, before you start making online RSView changes.

Isolate is turning the machine off to work on it. In short i want to work on a machine in the middle of the process line without stopping the one before. Remmember this is a planned stoppage and the line is already empty safety is not compromised, it gives my man work on this kit while line is starting again way way back as soon as the job is done turn the machine back on and into auto back to production. This is to enable minimum line disruption.

If your machines have separate controls and motors, then it should be possible to shut one line down and keep the others running. That is if the first one does not feed products to the second one.

Thanks guys, each machine has a seperate controls, the waiting time before the product drops onto machine 2 is 45minutes to an hour. So depending on the mechanical fault ie changing drive chain or something. Will manage to do that and put machine back to production.

Last edited:
waiting time before the product drops onto machine 2 is 45 minutes to an hour. So depending on the mechanical fault ie changing drive chain or something.
You might want to include a 45-minute timer in your modifications so that if the down time approaches 45 minutes, a warning pops up to tell you to get it back online pronto.