Flash New ControlLogix 1756-L61 using Ethernet

pr_wainwright

Hi,
Is it possible to upgrade a brand new ControlLogix 1756-L61 processor (Firmware Version 1.10) to firmware version 19 using an Ethernet Module (ENBT)? I have always used the serial lead to flash brand new processors but it takes 30+mins & I would like to speed up the process.

Thanks
Paul.

jkerekes,
Can you give me a clue, the ENBT is brand new so I don't know it's IP address. I am also using a 1783US05T switch. I have my PC & the ENBT connected to the switch. My PC's IP address is 192.168.0.99

Thanks
Paul.

Ok, if the ENBT doesn't have an IP address, you will need to give it one. Use BootP to assign it one. Then you can flash the L61.

jkerekes,
Can you give me a clue, the ENBT is brand new so I don't know it's IP address. I am also using a 1783US05T switch. I have my PC & the ENBT connected to the switch. My PC's IP address is 192.168.0.99

Thanks
Paul.

or, you can browse the chassis using the DF1 cable and driver you are using to connect to the CLGX.
Rslinx allows you to configure the ENBT and assign it a static IP address.

curlyandshemp,
Tried your way & it worked fine. Could not get BootP to work!. Thanks for the help.

Paul.

I've rarily had success using the bootp method. Always used DF1 and now USB is on the 1756-L7X family and the EN2T ethernet modules. USB works as well to browse the chassis.

Most of the time that BootP has not worked for me it was because of a firewall setting. Whether it's right or wrong, I set BootP in my firewall to have access on Domain, Private and Public networks so I don't have to worry about it.

dmroeder,
I got in touch with my local Rockwell support agent & he advised I needed to use a cross over RJ45 cable to connect to the ENBT while using BootP. I will try this next time I am required to configure an ENBT.

Thanks
Paul.

Crossover cables might not be necessary

In Win 7 I have to turn off my firewall to get BootP working. Ideally, I would plug directly into the device without the switch. That way I know the "network" consists of just me and the ethernet module.

The crossover cable is almost a non-issue any more. The crossover cable switches the transmit and receive so my transmit lands on your receive and your transmit lands on my receive. When you introduce a hub or switch into the mix, that device automatically handled that for us so it was not necessary to use a crossover.

What many don't know, is that most modern computers today will automatically perform this same function. The ethernet connection on your PC would make use of straight-thru or crossover cables, auto-switching the TX/RX as needed.

I did some testing on some of the different model Dell laptops we use as well as the RA ethernet modules. Here is what I found: (yes=auto-switching, no = requires crossover):

Dell C series laptops (C600, 610,640,800,840) = no
D600 = no
D610 = yes
D620 = yes
D630 = yes
D830 = yes
Vostro 3700 = yes
Vostro 3750 = yes

I would also assume all Dell "E" series do this as well.

1756-ENET = no
1756-ENBT = no
1756-EN2T = yes

As long as one of the devices supports auto-switching, any cable should work. My own laptop is a Vostro 3700 (yes). So for me to connect to a 1756-ENBT (no) would not require a crossover cable since my laptop supports auto-switching.

OG

Last edited: