RSLogix_Options Question....

JoseM

Question for you guys. Is it possible to set the "RSLogix" software under options to store the programs on an a centralize external "Network Access Storage (NAS)" unit.

Yes, if the external storage can be made to show with a drive letter and file address. You can set the program library directory in RSLogix 500 with "Tools, Options, System Preferences".

Last edited:
In that little window where you set the "Directory" when I go the "Drive" area and get the "Drop Down" window, it only shows A:\, C:\, or D:\

I mapped the NAS to drive letter Z:\ but it doesn't show as a drive.

You should be able to set Logix to read from a network drive by default. If you are in an office environment where your pc stays connected to the network 100% of the time it should work ok. If you are on a portable pc on the plant floor where you connect and disconnect a lot (sometimes unexpectedly), then I would recommend against it. Losing connection to the network drive with a PLC program file open causes some odd behavior like not being able to save the file. You can usually get around this by saving to a different filename but I prefer ro avoid it instead.

Since I work in a lot of different plants, I adapt to their standards. But if it's up to me, I do it this way.

Aquire the latest file on my pc. (from whatever source)
Go online, save file to asfound_20120913 folder on my pc.
Do your work.
Save the file to asleft_20120913 folder on my pc.
Save the file back to the network. (or where ever they keep them)
For some clients I email the "asleft" copy when I get back to the office.

IF you are talking about RSLogix500, and not RSLogix5000, then there is the option to set two save paths, a Primary, and a Secondary.

When you save a project it will attempt to save to both paths specified...

This feature does not exist in RSLogix5000.

2012-09-13_222018.jpg