Want Help:Profibus DPV1, SST, SLC5

PDBRider

Does anyone have any experiance at setting up a SST card or Logix500 to use DPV1 (Profibus)?

If the answers no, you probably want to skip over the rest of my message. It may just be gibberish.

-----------------------------------------
Quick overview of what I am trying to do:
Read and write from a Siemens RFID (RF300) which is connected to a ET200pro and that is communicating to the SLC processor via an SST card (SST-PB3-SLC)

I have talked to a Siemens contact who provided me with good information/documentation. However I think what is the current hold up is getting the SST to properly initialize the DPV1.
Once I get the DPV1 to initialize and the read and write just appear to be failing I think the Siemens guy will be able to help me struggle though it. He said, it's possible but won't be easy.
So I am pretty sure I can do it with a little help.

I have sample logic from SST to setup the DPV1 and incorporated it into my logic however it's failing to initialize. With two calls into SST (Woodhead/Brad Comm), two different representatives told me, they really have no idea or had anyone ask about using DPV1 and transferred me to a voice mail. ...no call back.

If you want a sample of the SST logic I can e-mail it. I also have a sample from Siemens in control logix and the initiating appears to be working in a similar way as the SST. Leading me to believe it's something with configuring the SST.

If you think you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it and supply you with a lot more information.

This can be a really tough task.
Normally the use of DPV1 simply means you have to enable it in the Profibus configuration. But if DPV1 is required then it can be because extra diagnostics or configuration has to be retrieved or transferred to the device at the other end. I am guessing that maybe there is a sample code for Siemens STEP7, and that it contains some library blocks that use DPV1 functions. The problem may be that is is not easy (or practically impossible) to port the STEP7 code to SLC500 code. Maybe it is not even possible to open the library blocks to see the code.

The good news may be that DPV1 may only be required for configuration or diagnostics, not for the regular transfer of RFID data (an ASCII string I guess). If that is the case, then maybe there is another way to configure and diagnose the RFID reader. If so you can use this separate tool for the configuration, then you only need to figure out how to read the ACII string from the regular operation.

All of the above is a lot of assumptions. I may be completely wrong.