Adding 1734 I/O online

mark_f1man

Hi, we are doing a project with a ControlLogic PLC and multiple 1734-AENTR adapters.

Is it possible to add an I/O module to the Point I/O chassis when the PLC is online? i.e. can you take the Point I/O chassis offline somehow - add a module - put it back online - all while the PLC is still running. Or is the only way to add an I/O module to take the PLC offline ?

In this case we want to add a 1734-OB4E.

Hi Mark,

As a general rule - if it won't let you do something online, then you can't.

In your specific case, no, you can't add any I/O to Logix5000 systems unless they are Logix5000 I/O modules.

You will have to add the I/O modules offline, and do a download to the controller. This, as you most likely know, will stop the controller from working, so be sure to shut everything down to a "safe" state.