How to communicate S7-1200 with CompactLogix

adfox

Hi, I've got a problem in communicating those 2 plcs.
I need data exchange between them.
I'm not familiar with AB so I cannot provide accurate solution.

As far as I'm concerned both should have modbus TCP - have anyone tried this ?

Other option is to install Profibus slave module on AB - i found something like this -> http://www.prosoft-technology.com/prosoft/products/for_rockwell_automation/platform/compactlogix__1/ps69_dps

And add CM-1243-5 (Profibus master module) to S7-1200 - but it's not cost saving option.

Have anyone tried communication using built-ins of CompactLogix and S7-1200 ?

Regards

Exactly which model of CompactLogix 1769-xxx controller are you using ? Some have serial ports, and some have Ethernet ports, and some have both.

Modbus RTU and Modbus/TCP are not built into the CompactLogix, but there are different ways to add those protocols.

The simplest is, in my opinion, the Prosoft MVI69 module.. I think it's the MVI69-MNET. This will allow the CompactLogix to run Modbus/TCP over that dedicated Ethernet port.

In most cases when you are unfamiliar with the target device and want to keep things simple, pay a little extra money for the Prosoft module.

There are ways to run Modbus RTU on the CompactLogix serial port or use other gateway devices, but the Prosoft is, in my experience, the easiest to use.

Thanks for suggestion.
The problem is that i don't have information about AB PLC type.

I'll look into this - thanks.