Factory Talk ME security problem

DairyBoy

Hi all. I've backed-up & restored a FTME project from one pc to another. Both machines have legit licences and are both ver 6.10. When I attempt to run the project on the second pc I get a message "[FONT=&quot]Your user account session has expired due to a status change in the user account or the FT directory. The user session will be closed. You will be required to log in again before opening an application".

I have tried setting the "Logon session lease" to zero hours per R.A.FAQ #45016 (Geez, 45,016 frequently asked questions???) under policies/system policies/security policy, but it still asks for an account and password that as far as I know don't exist, then tells me that the restore has failed.

The weird thing is that it worked ok once but I had copied the wrong file (a version from a few days ago) so I know it can do it if it really wants to :mad:

I started by using the application manager but then tried to just copy the file from my stick to the archive directory and open it via FT. Same result.

I called RA but as soon as it was known that I hadn't got a current contract (but 2 recent licences) I was told to email screenshots of the messages and they would "have a look at it sometime". Nice.

Anyone know the answer? (apart from "don't use AB") Thanks.
[/FONT]

I've gotten this in the past too. i don't remember offhand how ai fixed it. Is this a PV+ or ME Station on a PC? Did you restore just the project files from the .apa or both the project files and FT local directory? Did you manually create any necessary user accounts that were in the old project?

According to another TN, it could be due to a user accounts password age. You can change it to ignore the password's age.

Last edited:
You were probably logged into the FactoryTalk Local Directory at the time that you performed the Restore action, which over-wrote the configuration of the FT Local Directory.

If you over-write the Local Directory, FT logs out all the currently logged in users.

Check to be sure that both the computer's Administrator account and whatever Windows account you're currently using are part of the FactoryTalk Windows-Linked Users group.

I don't think this is bulletproof; if the project you restored doesn't have the Computer Administrator account in its FT Local Directory, you might not be able to edit it at all. I always include the Computer Administrator as a Windows-Linked User in my FactoryTalk projects, because the password and credentials will be on my OS, not in the FactoryTalk View project.

jePJp.jpg

Thank you for the reply Ken. Trouble is, to put it crudely, I just don't understand all this accounts stuff. I'm clearly going to have to work through it in order to get this to run but right now I can only see it as an obscure obstacle to simply copying a plain hmi application from one pc to another. :unsure: (just blowing off steam).

Jkerekes, thanks also. I ticked the "use application settings" or something like that in the restore options but I wouldn't know how to create an account if my life depended on it.

Last edited:
All is well!! I've done it again without restoring the local directory. (I had previously tried both options yesterday). I've re-applied the design/runtime paths and it's working. Thank you both.