Motor Question

Mike_RPI50

I am just curious since a permanent magnet motor is more efficient than a induction motor. If we would compare the two. What would be the current draw on both motors at no load? Assuming they are the same size and both feed for a 3 phase system.

Would their be a big difference or not?

I believe the improved efficiency is due to the PM motor having no slip. As a result, with the same electrical input, the rotor turns 1-2% faster.

There may be more to it than that but at least that much is obvious to me.

I would think that depending on rotor design there would not be a lot of difference under no load.

Similar Topics

We have an old liquid ring vacuum pump sitting in the parts area, and its been there for years. I got curious about it, was looking at it, and the...
Replies
Views
Found that a trouble some pumps that kept causing overcurrent faults on the VFDs were wired in star instead of delta configuration. In star...
Replies
Views
I don't run a UL panel shop or do UL designs, but I try to keep my designs UL friendly because several times I've had to have it inspected before...
Replies
Views
have a question. Hope i can ask it so it makes sense. Have a gear motor that is rated at 650 lb_in that turns 47 RPM at max speed. Need to use...
Replies
Views
I have a typical motor that can be wired for 230/460 but is also rated for 208VAC operation. It has a typical 1.15 service factor. If I wire...
Replies
Views
Back
Top Bottom