Selection of SCADA system

gibson

Hello friends,
hi I'm a bit new to SCADA selection part, what are the points to be considered before selection of an SCADA.
and what could be the points one would require from the client for the selection of the same.
Thanks ..

I think you need to come up with a list of features that you want and assign them a priority. Then work out from there on which systems fit your need and which dont.

Obviously price is probably always gonna be the most important.

What's the SCADA's data going to be used for? (the purpose often defines the category of SCADA)
For instance, does the SCADA have to provide IRIG timing for Sequence of Event logging?
Or is HART diagnostics required for an asset management system to manage large numbers of
complex field devices?
Or . . .

What is being used now for an historian or alarm annunciation? Does expanding the existing system make sense?

What are the critical, can't-live-without functions justified by the expense?
What are the it-would-be-nice-to-have functions that might be justifiable (two columns on a sheet of paper, list 'em out, talk amongst yourselves)

How many points are involved? (scalability is not universal)
What's the topology? Where are the points located and clustered? Are RTU's or remote I/O needed to cluster data? How does the SCADA handle remote I/O? How much remote
monitoring is needed? What links (wireless, internet, intranet) are available for data collection?

What sampling rates are required ? 1mS? 1 second? 10 seconds? 1 minute?

What is the front end that wires to the field devices and how does the SCADA deal with that device?

Is the SCADA data repository a database or a file structure? Is the database an open database?
Who will be the librarian for a file structured data repository?

What data analysis querying and reporting functions are needed? Does the SCADA software include this or does the SCADA just dump to a database? Is the crappy time line historian image suitable for day-to-day use in the plant?
Who accesses the data and in what form? on-line decision making or archived cover-my-*** data?

How many people need on-line access to the data? How does the SCADA software handle 'seated licenses'? Fixed, dongles, rotating seats?

Does web based HMI reporting fit the situation? Is it available?

What alarming functions are needed? Is outside notification like email on alarm needed? To what extent?

When was the last major revision of the SCADA software issued?
When is the next major revision expected?
What's the current support mode? (annual service contract?)
Who supports incremental changes? owner staff? integrator?
Who supports major upgrades? minor updates? method? (download from the web? 4 week
delivery of CD?)

Is the SCADA software an OPC client? Which flavor? DA? E&A? UA?
Can the SCADA software also be an OPC server to another OPC client?

What O/S does the SCADA run under? workstation or server software?
Does the SCADA run as a service or an application?
What level PC does the SCADA require? A full blown server
When was the proposed SCADA software updated to run on its O/S platform? One year? two
years? three years? not yet?

How is a data backup of the SCADA file/database accomplished?

What are the security features of the SCADA?
Is the customer willing to implement security and to what extent?

In my mind, SCADA and HMI software overlap to a great extent, so wherever I use the term SCADA, HMI could be substituted.

I agree with Danw.

All dependent on the Architecture, size and complexity of your system. Off course price is a big point as well.

Rheinhardt