SCADA software selection

+1 on Ignition :site:

One pet peeve I have is that for speed reasons the OPC-UA server only browses PLC tags to the word level. That's fine for numerical data, but (unless I've missed something) any tags you need at the bit level you have manually "create" from the imported words. This can be time consuming if you have a large tag database imported.

G.

+1 for Ignition.

If you are referring to Contrologix Booleans, that was several versions ago of the driver. The Inductive crew had to virtually reverse engineer the contrologix driver.
One suggestion I have given them though, is the ability to browse tags in an offline contrologix *.ACD file. I don't always have an online PLC at the start of a project.

curlyandshemp said:
+1 for Ignition.

If you are referring to Contrologix Booleans, that was several versions ago of the driver. The Inductive crew had to virtually reverse engineer the contrologix driver.
One suggestion I have given them though, is the ability to browse tags in an offline contrologix *.ACD file. I don't always have an online PLC at the start of a project.

Yeah, file linking is done in other SCADA packages, such as Citect, which is great for offline project work. I'm more referring to the the ability to browse online to the boolean level, directly from the PLC, which is much more important to be able to do for discrete control from the clients.

It was actually the MicroLogix driver I noticed it in first, but then I noticed it in the ControlLogix driver. When I asked my IA guy, he said that the speed of the OPC-UA server browse was the reason, as BobB mentioned, it can be slow. They did say they were working on it at the time, but I didn't chase it up since. It's been a PITA manually creating them. I must look for that ControlLogix update, and check if the MicroLogix driver was fixed as well? Cheers for that (y)

diat150 said:
...have you looked at using the ialabs scripting module to create your tags thru scripting?

I'm aware of that module, but I haven't used it. I don't know if scripting is the best method to pull in bools? How sucessful have you been?

(Thread turns into IA support forums...sorry! :oops:)

G.

Y

I'm aware of that module, but I haven't used it. I don't know if scripting is the best method to pull in bools? How sucessful have you been?

(Thread turns into IA support forums...sorry! :oops:)

G.

I cant say that I have used it in the manner you are talking about, but I have used it to create tags, sometimes nearly 2000 in one script, and it works great. it really depends on how your tags need to be structured. with the sql and python you can query things and then use the python to run thru the dataset and using string replacement, you can really do some cool stuff.