RSLogix Communications with USB

fredjohns

My new laptop doesnt have a serial port only USB ports. Does anyone know what cables and version of RXLinx I will need to communicate with a Micrologix 1000. Currently I have RSLinx Lite, version 2.40.01

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Fred

most new notebooks only have USB - you will need a USB/Serial converter

Thanks Ian, is there a different verion of RSLinx I will need. In my version when it only shows COM1, 2 and 3. Is there a version that will show the USB ports or will the converter take care of that

Thanks Ian, is there a different verion of RSLinx I will need. In my version when it only shows COM1, 2 and 3. Is there a version that will show the USB ports or will the converter take care of that

The converter should take care of that. I like the Keyspan USA-19HS. It has worked with every type of serial device I have tried so far, including micrologix and SLCs.

There is another one sold by geniusintraining, a forum member here, and his unit gets a lot of praise too:

http://ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

The website doesn't have separate links for each products, so look for "Industrial USB/RS232/ USB/Serial Adapter Windows 7 Compatible" in the link above.

He also has lots of detailed information to set it up with different versions of RSLinx:
http://ind-concepts.com/Support_and_Downloads.htm

I second OkiePC's comments on the USA-19HS, and the Cables from Genius in Training. I have several of his Cables, and have had no issues with them. Unfortunately, I don't believe he carries the HS19 anymore.

As Okie said, the USB Converter Driver will decide which Com Port it shows up on, which may be configurable.

You should be able to Download a newer RSLinx from the AB/RA Web Site. I am running V2.57, but there are at least one or two newer revisions.

What Operating System and Service Pack is installed on your Laptop?

Stu....