Question about relay contact ratings

agarb

Reference: http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/...643/229703/Specifications.html#Specifications

At 120V AC, this relay will make 30 amps and break 3 amps.

But the next row down in the datasheet says that for an AC-15 inductive load it has a 3 A N.O. contact.

Can anybody explain what appears to me as a contradiction?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to use this relay to drive a 100-D180 contactor
with 120V AC conventional coil. The 100-D180 datasheet says it has a pick-up of 650 VA (310 Watts) and hold-in of 50 VA (10 Watts). This back-calculates to 5.5 amps make and 0.4 amps break. Obviously, this is much less than 30 amps but more than 3 amps...

Reference: http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/...643/229703/Specifications.html#Specifications

At 120V AC, this relay will make 30 amps and break 3 amps.

But the next row down in the datasheet says that for an AC-15 inductive load it has a 3 A N.O. contact.

Can anybody explain what appears to me as a contradiction?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to use this relay to drive a 100-D180 contactor with 120V AC conventional coil. The 100-D180 datasheet says it has a pick-up of 650 VA (310 Watts) and hold-in of 50 VA (10 Watts). This back-calculates to 5.5 amps make and 0.4 amps break. Obviously, this is much less than 30 amps but more than 3 amps...

You didn't specify, but I presume you are talking about the 700-HLT Relay, that is where your Link sent me.

I don't see a problem, the Relay will allow 30A on Make, well above your Coil Pull In Current, and 3A Break, again well above your Coil Holding Current. If you want to extend the life of your Contacts, put a 120VAC MOV across the Contactor Coil.

Stu.....

You didn't specify, but I presume you are talking about the 700-HLT Relay, that is where your Link sent me.

I don't see a problem, the Relay will allow 30A on Make, well above your Coil Pull In Current, and 3A Break, again well above your Coil Holding Current. If you want to extend the life of your Contacts, put a 120VAC MOV across the Contactor Coil.

Stu.....

My concern is the other line in the datasheet for the 700-HLT... What does it mean when it says - "Inductive Load - AC-15 250V, 3 A N.O. Contact, 1.5 A N.C. Contact"

My concern is the other line in the datasheet for the 700-HLT... What does it mean when it says - "Inductive Load - AC-15 250V, 3 A N.O. Contact, 1.5 A N.C. Contact"

They don't specify it very well, but from the context, I think they are talking about the 700-HLT Relay Coil.

Stu....

Contacts can handle a running current but when they break there as a Back EMF arc that can easily destroy contacts, specifically when carrying full Inductive load.
I am assuming this is your question, the AC rating has changed but it used to be between 1 and 4. not 1.5 - I will need to follow that up